Ground this or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

PVC into a metal J-box leaving in EMT. Not service, no splices in box just a pull can. Does this can need to be grounded? I'm not seeing where it needs to be. Did I miss something?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
PVC into a metal J-box leaving in EMT. Not service, no splices in box just a pull can. Does this can need to be grounded? I'm not seeing where it needs to be. Did I miss something?

Is there an EGC so that the EMT can be grounded where it terminates. IMO, the EMT must be grounded but the JB would not need a jumper to bond it. Actually it would be if the EMT was grounded.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Which end is which? The metalic box and raceway must be bonded so, if the EMT end starts at the feed end you would be fine, if it's the other way around you would need to pull an EGC and bond it with the conductor.

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If the EMT is terminated in a grounded enclosure on the other end it would provide the grounding means for this pull box. If we are dealing with >250 volts to ground, verification of listed for grounding would be an issue.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Which end is which? The metalic box and raceway must be bonded so, if the EMT end starts at the feed end you would be fine, if it's the other way around you would need to pull an EGC and bond it with the conductor.

Roger

Roger, I don't think I understand your statement. As long as the EMT is bonded to the EGC on one end and the box is bonded to the EMT on the other end and why would if make a difference which is the feed side?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Roger, I don't think I understand your statement. As long as the EMT is bonded to the EGC on one end and the box is bonded to the EMT on the other end and why would if make a difference which is the feed side?

I think Roger was saying if the emt came from the panel then there would be no need to bond it, however if the PVC was from the panel then the emt needed bonding.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think Roger was saying if the emt came from the panel then there would be no need to bond it, however if the PVC was from the panel then the emt needed bonding.

Curt, Dennis is correct, what I was saying is, if the EMT is from the distribution side (the panel) it and the box would already be bonded, if the PVC is from the distribution side we would have to add an EGC and bond the box which will (should) provide the bonding to the EMT.

Roger

Volta

Curt, Dennis is correct, what I was saying is, if the EMT is from the distribution side (the panel) it and the box would already be bonded, if the PVC is from the distribution side we would have to add an EGC and bond the box which will (should) provide the bonding to the EMT.

Roger

I still don't follow that explanation. It does not matter if the metallic raceway is grounded at the line or load end.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I still don't follow that explanation. It does not matter if the metallic raceway is grounded at the line or load end.

Of course it doesn't matter at which end the EGC is established but, read the OP and tell me where an EGC is said to be in place on either side.

The way I read the question is that there is a metallic raceway on one side of a metal box and on the other side there is PVC, now the question goes, is it necessary to bond the box which would in turn bond the metallic raceway? If the EMT is from the bonded side (the panel) nothing else needs to be done, if the PVC is the line side with no other bonding an EGC must be established.

Roger

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Of course it doesn't matter at which end the EGC is established but, read the OP and tell me where an EGC is said to be in place on either side.

The way I read the question is that there is a metallic raceway on one side of a metal box and on the other side there is PVC, now the question goes, is it necessary to bond the box which would in turn bond the metallic raceway? If the EMT is from the bonded side (the panel) nothing else needs to be done, if the PVC is the line side with no other bonding an EGC must be established.

Roger

So what you are saying is that if it's not bonded you need to bond it.

Makes perfect sense to me.

chevyx92

Roger

The feed end starts in PVC then hits the metal pull box, out of the pull box is EMT to the new panel. EGC will be in pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.