#14 on a 20amp OCPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Some people see lumber - And since it says exactly what it says, and nothing more can be implied by it - please find something "specifically" allowing otherwise...

Um, why isn't 240.4(G) sufficiently specifc? "Overcurrent protection for the specific conductors shall be permitted to be provided as referenced in Table 240.4(G)." It even uses the word specific. :)

Cheers, Wayne

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree that it says "A through G" and that this means that, if your use is found within A through G, you can use the applicable allowance.

It does not say that your application must meet every allowance in order to use any one. If it meant that, it would all be spelled out in 240.4.

hot wire

Just thought about this .We all know you cant put #14 wire on a 20 amp breaker. So why can you put 15 amp recp on a 20 amp ckt whats the difference??????

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Just thought about this .We all know you cant put #14 wire on a 20 amp breaker.
as noted in this thread..sometimes we can

So why can you put 15 amp recp on a 20 amp ckt whats the difference??????
On a single receptacle, we can't. On more than one, we can. The assumption being that expected loads are shared among recpetacles.
If the load requires a 20 amp receptacle., the plug is designed so it will only fit a 20 amp receptacle.

iwire

Staff member
Just thought about this .We all know you cant put #14 wire on a 20 amp breaker. So why can you put 15 amp recp on a 20 amp ckt whats the difference??????

Because the only difference between a 15 and 20 amp receptacle is the face, the current carrying parts (of the same brand and grade) are identical.

mivey

Shazam!

Surprise! Surprise! Suprise!

Golly, Master Po!
Jim played "Yung Fool". I can't remember if the sensei's name was Po but it does not seem like it would be a funny enough name for Carol Burnett to use it. I wish I could find a clip of that skit.

Status
Not open for further replies.