Galvanized nipple with "listed" gasket on a service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbelectric777

Ok, First time I saw a guy do this......... load side of meter, he has a 3" X 2" galvanized nipple between the meter (concentric k.o) to a gutter (rain tight) he punched out for a line side tap (solar photovoltaic system) he's ok on bonding (grounding locknuts with terminals) so Im ok with that, BUT.... he used a blue 2" gasket instead of a myer hub. I thought the code said on top entries there shall be a hub or hub type fitting but it doesnt, I couldnt find anything I could cite so I told the guy if he faxed me a copy of the package where it says its listed for wet locations, I'll pass it and get a cut in card out. What say you guys? I never ever used just a gasket, EVER! What say you guys. Jim

Buck Parrish

The type I have used is blue rubber attached to a locknut. But I only use them on the side near the top.
On the top of the panel. IMO it would have to be a hub to work effectivly.

Last edited:

nakulak

wp locknut - I didn't know they were allowed for top entry either (I wouldn't use one for top entry)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you look ar ceb58's section 312.2 it says "For enclosures in wet locations, raceways or cables entering above the level of uninsulated live part shall use fittings listed for wet locations." If you look at the Article 100 definition of Fitting a sealing locknut or other listed fitting would be permitted. The question here is did the installer use a listed fitting for this or did he just take a rubber gasket off of a LFMC connector and use that?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
As far as I know the sealing locknuts have the same wet location rating as a hub. The following is from the UL Guide Information for Conduit Fittings (DWTT)
Sealing (Liquid-tight) Locknuts — Sealing locknuts are intended for use with threaded rigid metal conduit and intermediate metal conduit with one sealing locknut in the outside or the inside and either an ordinary locknut or sealing locknut on the inside of the enclosure for wet locations or liquid-tight applications. Sealing locknuts may also be used with Listed wet location or liquid-tight fittings where so marked on the fitting carton and used on the inside of the enclosure.

jbelectric777

the last poster had exactly what the guy faxed to me. i also found that sheet fast on the internet, the sheet also says at the bottom that everything has to comply with NEC i wonder if there is a manufacturer rule here i could cite, non the less im retired after thursday maybe i'll leave it for my replacement to deal with, im goin on disability, the biggest wires im worried about now are on my lil breadboard..............:D

ty

I read Gasket, not sealing Locknut.

I would like to see a pic, but it sounds to me like a gasket we would use for dustproof applications.
Does this Blue gasket have a silver metal ring around it?

jbelectric777

no, nothing, looks like he just took a gasket and put it under the locknut, i found where i can cite it tho....... (drumroll please) POCO RULE BOOK

jbelectric777

this is how cocky this guy is, he emails me and says thursdays yer last day just pass it what do you care.......lol he does have a point.......:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.