Best way to run a sub-panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwjrw

DSC_2999a.jpg

Originally I thought you said 200a disconnect and thats why it looked so strange to me. But a 200a meter panel combo makes since now.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, I cheated a little. I 'trained' it first. :roll:

th_DSC_2445.jpg

As soon as I installed it, I put the 2x4 across the face of the studs to 'train' the cable. About a week later, I took it off and installed the strap.​
I'd just bend the cable before installing it into the metermain. Seems like an added trip, using a board.

480sparky

how many man hours?

To install the bend? I'd say about 0.2.

I'd just bend the cable before installing it into the metermain. Seems like an added trip, using a board.

I tried that, and it just wouldn't stay inside the stud cavity. I didn't want the rockers screaming about it sticking out of the studs and them crying about the possibility of a bump in the rock.

Besides, this was more than a one-day job. I probably took 6 or 7 trips there as they had other things going on inside the original house as well. I know when I installed the SER it would be a while before the POCO could return to heat up the new metermain, so another trip was already in the bid.

jwjrw

To install the bend? I'd say about 0.2.

I tried that, and it just wouldn't stay inside the stud cavity. I didn't want the rockers screaming about it sticking out of the studs and them crying about the possibility of a bump in the rock.

Besides, this was more than a one-day job. I probably took 6 or 7 trips there as they had other things going on inside the original house as well. I know when I installed the SER it would be a while before the POCO could return to heat up the new metermain, so another trip was already in the bid.

I usally get a board and instead of going on the outside of the stud I go between the studs and just leave it there.:D

growler

I usally get a board and instead of going on the outside of the stud I go between the studs and just leave it there.:D

I do something similar. I use a 2 X 4 as a cross member and then drill it for the cable and use the required nail guards. This keeps the cable away from the edge of the studs and it's protected and also holds it in place nicely. Some inspectors don't want the cable run parallel and straped to the studs because it's hard to maintain the clearance from the edge.

I don't have that much trouble bending the SER in warm weather but when it's cold that can be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.