AFCI req for Service Change - 2011nec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
from the draft of the 2011, it appears 210.12 will only change with some clarification.
The requirements for AFCIs on existing circuits was not addressed and will apparently continue to be a local issue

jwjrw

from the draft of the 2011, it appears 210.12 will only change with some clarification.
The requirements for AFCIs on existing circuits was not addressed and will apparently continue to be a local issue

Does that mean some ahj do make you update to arcs?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm sure somewhere,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
When they were first introduced and limited to bedroom receptacle circuits, one of the ahj's in our area began requiring them, but after encountering numerous jobs where they would not operate, the requirement was dropped.

jwjrw

I'm sure somewhere,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
When they were first introduced and limited to bedroom receptacle circuits, one of the ahj's in our area began requiring them, but after encountering numerous jobs where they would not operate, the requirement was dropped.

Here they only require new circuits meet code or if you extend the old circuit. I would think the old" it was legal then" would exempt you.But what do I know?:D

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Wonder what those are going to cost... And are they ever going to make tandem AFCI's for all those houses with 20/40 panels that are nearly full without AFCI's?

macmikeman

Both the 2005 and the 2008 require the use of afci branch circuit protection when 15 0r 20 amp 120 volt "outlets" are installed into specified areas of dwelling units. (Lets keep this straight- so no meandering- outlets means more than receptacle outlets, lights are outlets, smoke detectors are outlets, AC fan coil units 120 are outlets, and so forth). A new service is not an outlet. If your jurisdiction requires afci breakers installed for service changes, when new outlets are not installed, then they are calling it wrong unless they have a specific amendment stating that. If they do not have a specific amendment stating such you should take it up with them. (means protest or fight it).

Status
Not open for further replies.