Ground this or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Along with 250.86 and probably others.

I'm not sure I'm following that article correctly. We dont use bonding bushings on every piece of EMT we run in the trade. It is saying it must be "Connected" to the EGC. There must be another article that suffices here, otherwise every stick of EMT I've ran and seen doesnt comply with 250.86.

Volta

I'm not sure I'm following that article correctly. We dont use bonding bushings on every piece of EMT we run in the trade. It is saying it must be "Connected" to the EGC. There must be another article that suffices here, otherwise every stick of EMT I've ran and seen doesnt comply with 250.86.

"Bonding" does not have to include "bonding bushings". Since this run is over 250 volts to ground, however, we need to comply with 250.97. These bushings can be a good way to accomplish that.

macmikeman

I'll say in just about every situation where the other end got bonded to the egc you would be ok. If the run was exceedingly long and surpasses the value of impedence that exeeds the level that operates the overcurrent device to open it might not be ok. A run across a long bridge like the Golden Gate would probably not be ok as the op describes if bonded at the far end. It might not safely be able to carry the fault current at levels that will cause an opening of the overcurrent device. For most situations though you would be fine.

chevyx92

"Bonding" does not have to include "bonding bushings". Since this run is over 250 volts to ground, however, we need to comply with 250.97. These bushings can be a good way to accomplish that.

I agree but I see 250.97 exception(3) shouldnt require anything more than my EMT connectors with a locknut to comply.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Some how there has to be a path of connection that is suitable for use as an EGC between the EGC that is run with the circuit conductors and the metal conduit. There would be any number of ways to do this. It would not require the use of a grounding bushing, but that would work. In this case the supply is run in PVC conduit with an EGC. This equipment grounding conductor must be connected to the metal raceway that is on the load side of the PVC to provide a fault clearing path.

chevyx92

Some how there has to be a path of connection that is suitable for use as an EGC between the EGC that is run with the circuit conductors and the metal conduit. There would be any number of ways to do this. It would not require the use of a grounding bushing, but that would work. In this case the supply is run in PVC conduit with an EGC. This equipment grounding conductor must be connected to the metal raceway that is on the load side of the PVC to provide a fault clearing path.

Ok if there were no pvc then article 250.97 exceptions would be compliant correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.