SO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwjrw

I dont see anything against it in art 400 but Im not sure if there are other arts that prohibit it.

cadpoint

If it's a busway, start at Article 368, 368.56 (B) w/ an Exception, that I don't think will be met.

All said, I would still check with your local AHJ.

jwjrw

If it's a busway, start at Article 368, 368.56 (B) w/ an Exception, that I don't think will be met.

All said, I would still check with your local AHJ.

Bus duct is where I should of looked I missed that part of it.

jdero

i still do not see where article 368.56 would discount the use of SO. art.368appears to state installaton methods only...not type of cable. unless cable is not approved by AHJ

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
i still do not see where article 368.56 would discount the use of SO.
It doesn't
art.368appears to state installaton methods only...not type of cable. unless cable is not approved by AHJ
Read 368.56(B) again and take note of "Suitable cords and cable assemblies approved for extra hard usage or hard usage", then read Table 404.4

Roger

jdero

Roger, thanks for your reply.
reading art. 400.4 it indicates that SO is hard service cord, therefore ok to
use as bus drop...am i wrong here?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger, thanks for your reply.
reading art. 400.4 it indicates that SO is hard service cord, therefore ok to
use as bus drop...am i wrong here?

You are welcome and you are not wrong, you are correct.

Roger

ned L

Additionally, the Industrial Machinery itself is covered under NFPA-79 (Electrical Standard For Industrial Machinery), which in 2007 was revised to require that all cables and conductors be of a listed type (and)... "Type AWM shall not be permitted" (so you are still ok with the SO.) - Prior to the 2007 edition AWM was 'permitted' by not being specifically disallowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.