Is this a violation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
This is a common situation in offices, today it was suggested to me that it's a violation: printer or copier sits on top of a cabinet, cord passes through grommet on top of cabinet and is plugged into receptacle inside of cabinet.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is certainly not an NEC violation. We install the outlet and that is where the NEC's jurisdiction stops. What and how it gets plugged in is not the NEC's concern.

Art. 400.8 would apply if the cords were permanently connected to the electrical system.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Dennis, I agree in principle; but things like 406.6 fly in the face of that.

I wish the NEC would adopt the stance you describe universally, instead of bouncing back and forth. Sometimes it does apply to items I would consider outside of the "premises wiring" as defined in 100, and it bothers me.

In this case, I would agree that the NEC should not apply to the receptacle inside the cabinet, if it's cord and plug connected to a receptacle in the wall.

jwjrw

Is the "Cabinet" made for the purpose? If it had a hole made for the purpose of running a cord thru it I could see it not being a problem. Probably a stretch anyway because its not like you are running a cord thru a wall.

jwjrw

Then I would think any cord art would not apply to it. The other guys will know for sure:D.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
In this case, I would agree that the NEC should not apply to the receptacle inside the cabinet, if it's cord and plug connected to a receptacle in the wall.
Do we know that? If there is a receptacle inside the cabinet, then it should be OK to plug something into that receptacle. But do we know how that receptacle gets its power? When the OP says the "receptacle inside the cabinet," does that mean that there is a hole in the back of the cabinet, and the receptacle is in the wall behind the cabinet?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is a common situation in offices, today it was suggested to me that it's a violation: printer or copier sits on top of a cabinet, cord passes through grommet on top of cabinet and is plugged into receptacle inside of cabinet.

So, would these same people say an entertainment center where the electronic equipment cords pass through an opening to be plugged into a wall receptacle is a violation? It's simply a reversed scenario, in many cases the cords still pass through a small opening.

Roger

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

400.7 Uses Permitted.
(A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for
the following:
(3) Connection of portable lamps, portable and mobile
signs, or appliances
(8) Appliances where the fastening means and mechanical
connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal
for maintenance and repair, and the appliance is
intended or identified for flexible cord connection

I do not see anything in 400.8 that would prohibit such an installation.

A printer or copier meets the definition of an appliance given in article 100, even if it is not one of the examples listed there.

Jim W in Tampa

Many cord connected dish washers pass thru a hole in cabinet to receptacle under the sink and that is a FIXED appliance. A copy machine is not usually bolted down. I am looking at mine right now and its cord goes thru my desk top to a receptacle in wall under desk. I see nothing in nec to stop this or a hazard

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
... When the OP says the "receptacle inside the cabinet," does that mean that there is a hole in the back of the cabinet, and the receptacle is in the wall behind the cabinet?

No, receptacle is in surface mounted box inside cabinet. We always leave tails now for receptacles in cabinets (such as for microwaves etc.) and then come back and either cut them in or surface mount them--since we can never tell exactly how the cabinet guy is going to install.

The reason this came up is an inspector on another job saw that the customer had run a plug-in puck light from a receptacle below an upper cabinet with the cord going up into the cabinet, running about 2 feet, and then passing back through the cabinet to the light. He was going to call it a violation if there was line voltage passing through the cabinet. However, this particular setup had the transformer built into the male end of the plug so it was low voltage in the cabinet. He did not cite a code section.

Status
Not open for further replies.