Overhead 4-wire service, residential

Status
Not open for further replies.

inspector 102

A homeowner wishes to provide a load panel in a detached garage via on overhead drop. Given that detached accessory buildings are required to be served by a 4-wire assembly, is there a wiring type available to accomplish this? My understanding is the 4-wire is required but a grounding system is still required at the accessory building, unlike a load side panel within a structure where additional grounding is not required. Have never run across a four wire aerial cable for single phase application. Thanks

480sparky

I call it quad-plex or quadruplex.

Quadplex.jpg

Last edited:

jwjrw

He's feeding a detached garage from the house via an overhead line. What does that have to do with a service? Why does it need to be metered?

Are you saying he is going to come off a breaker in main panel out the top then to the panel. I was thinking he meant to tap onto overhead service.

480sparky

Im having trouble picturing how it would look. Would it have sometype of riser? I dont think I have ever seen one done this way.

Take a circuit from a breaker in the main panel, and run it 'backwards' up a mast, convert it to the quadplex, run it overhead to the garage, and run it back down another mast at the garage.

Overhead.jpg

Sorry for the overly-simple image. I don't have Photoshop.​

Last edited:

jwjrw

Take a circuit from a breaker in the main panel, and run it 'backwards' up a mast, convert it to the quadplex, run it overhead to the garage, and run it back down another mast at the garage.

Overhead.jpg

Sorry for the overly-simple image. I don't have Photoshop.​

I think I'd rent a trencher and someone to use it:D
I thought it would look similar but couldnt picture where you would change over. Thank you.

kevin

Quadruplex is a utility-grade product and therefore is most likely not "listed", however reasonable inspectors will not prohibit its use. Size it to Table 310.16 and not to the manufacturer's published data since you must not exceed the temperature rating of the terminations [110.14(C)]. The connectors (split bolts, gutter taps, etc.) may well be rated 90 degC, allowing you to size the quadruplex to the 90degC column of Table 310.16, but a safer course would be to use the 75 degC column.

Status
Not open for further replies.