Dark church hallway

Status
Not open for further replies.

danickstr

I am helping out a church with some lighting and they have a long tube without windows, currently lit by two dim and creepy fluorescents.

Dimensions are 7 x 7 x 25 feet

low ceiling is a problem, but not addressable.

Thoughts about a lighting plan would be nice. I am not going to influence anyone by suggesting anything I have thought about. :)

jwjrw

I am helping out a church with some lighting and they have a long tube without windows, currently lit by two dim and creepy fluorescents.

Dimensions are 7 x 7 x 25 feet

low ceiling is a problem, but not addressable.

Thoughts about a lighting plan would be nice. I am not going to influence anyone by suggesting anything I have thought about. :)

Wall Sconces? My first thought

cadpoint

I think I’d put the fine gloves on here! Is this an egress situation? If it is then bring it up to Code.

Is there working exit signs or even bug lights? Are they bouncing basketballs down the hall?

If yes and no to the last two questions, I’d go with 5 or 6 -3’ - 2 lamp fluorescent with the acrylic wrap around lenses, even spaced.

You might consider two of the five for both ends of the hall to be emergency ballast lights.

Good luck on getting them to spend any money :)

PS - slapped right on the wall!

Last edited:

marti smith

If the ceiling is indeed low as you stated, I'm for the sconce idea also. It is also more visually appealing as the flourescents will have to be right on in order to appear straight. I also think the sconces will have more lamp options, which will help do away with the "creepy" atmosphere IMO.

jwjrw

If the ceiling is indeed low as you stated, I'm for the sconce idea also. It is also more visually appealing as the flourescents will have to be right on in order to appear straight. I also think the sconces will have more lamp options, which will help do away with the "creepy" atmosphere IMO.

That was my thought.

danickstr

funny I was thinking cans...which may be a tough one to work out spread-wise due to the low ceiling. But the other ideas are good.

ptrip

What type of ceiling is it? Drywall? Acoustic Tile? Do you have any space in the ceiling for fixtures?

growler

funny I was thinking cans...which may be a tough one to work out spread-wise due to the low ceiling. But the other ideas are good.

Can lights sound good to me but it won't be as cheap as some other ideas. Is this a front hall open to the public or an area that's rarely used.

The location of the hallway will probably dictate how much money they are willing to spend.

I would have to check out how the ceiling is constructed and see how much room before making a decision. Whatever would look the best and I can make the most money on.

danickstr

there is room above (an old roof) and a wood ceiling so cans will work. it is a transition hall from the front entrance to the back rooms, admin, green room, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.