406.11 Tamper Resistant question

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, my apologies if this has already been talked to death, I've done mostly commercial the last 10yrs, and I'm trying to brush up on my residential

406.11 states TRs are required for 15 and 20 amp recpts in all areas specified in 210.52. Since there are no exceptions to this, obviously this means all recepts in these areas, including plugs in the garage ceiling for door openers, plugs down behind the dishwahers, clock recepts (who puts those in anymore anyway) plugs in cabinets for microwaves, plugs above cabinets for accent lighting and similiar recpts that are well out of reach of children. Now the price difference between regular and TR recepts is not much so its not really worth argueing about how silly it is to require TR on such plugs , but what about a twist lock recept for a pool pump? Outside is an area specified by 210.52
is there such a thing as a TR twist lock?
the language in 406.11 makes it clear they mean all 15 and 20 recpts, not just the ones specifically required by 210.52
what's the real world experience with this one?

480sparky

................is there such a thing as a TR twist lock?
the language in 406.11 makes it clear they mean all 15 and 20 recpts, not just the ones specifically required by 210.52
what's the real world experience with this one?

Is it a 120v twist lock?

The other thing is... is the recep required by 210.52?

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
The other thing is... is the recep required by 210.52?

So if I install a receptacle in a bedroom where, not counting that same receptacle, there is still no point on the wall that doesn't have a receptacle within six feet, I don't have to make it tamper resistant?

Last edited:
well this isn't a real world thing that I'm running into, this is more or less me looking over some of the changes and thinking aloud. I have seen twist locks on pool pumps before so yes it would be a 125V recept.
the language used in 406.11 seems to apply to eveything in the areas mentioned in 210.52, whether its a required receptacle or not. otherwise you could get away with not putting TRs in any outlets not required, like a hallway less than 10 ft for example or anywhere else you put them for convience rather than requirement

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.