Home Generator Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I dont want to put a transfer switch on my house but I do want some Generator receptacles at 4 locations in my home. I had planned on cutting in a receptacle next to the Refrigerator,Furnace,Wood Stove Etc... Each of these circuits would run back to a 12 Cir Loadcenter which would be powered off of my generator's 30a twistlock receptacle.I'll just unplug from the house receptacles and plug into the Generator fed receptacles during "Lights out".
My question is does the New Generator panel need to be grounded as a seperate service or just a 4wire cord run to it since it will be plugged directly into the Receptacle on the Generator?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
At my house the Meter and Service disconnect are located approx. 100' from the house. Thats where the ground rod is.The Feeder to my house is 3 wire 4/0 URD only no ground wire.
to a 200a MLO Panel located in the back room. No Grounding Electrode was installed at the house.Neutrals and grounds are intermixed.

paul

There should also be ground rods or other GES at the house. It's a separate structure. Pound a couple of ground rods and hit both panels with a #6 cu. Both issues are solved. Just makes sure you hit the ground bar of your new 12 space panel.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
What is the purpose of Bonding the Generator Panel to the Main Panel Grounding electrode if the two systems are completely seperate? Is it to keep all of the items in the house at the same grounding potential?

ceb58

If the 12 circ. panel is in no way connected to the normal electrical system then I think you are good with 250.34 1&2

Jim W in Tampa

At my house the Meter and Service disconnect are located approx. 100' from the house. Thats where the ground rod is.The Feeder to my house is 3 wire 4/0 URD only no ground wire.
to a 200a MLO Panel located in the back room. No Grounding Electrode was installed at the house.Neutrals and grounds are intermixed.
From what your saying your panel in the house is a sub panel. If so requires 4 wire feeder. House must have main breaker unless you only have 6 breakers. And as such neutrals and ground must be seperate and nuetral bar can not be bonded to panel.
The panel your adding is a second service .

electricmanscott

I dont want to put a transfer switch on my house but I do want some Generator receptacles at 4 locations in my home. I had planned on cutting in a receptacle next to the Refrigerator,Furnace,Wood Stove Etc... Each of these circuits would run back to a 12 Cir Loadcenter which would be powered off of my generator's 30a twistlock receptacle.I'll just unplug from the house receptacles and plug into the Generator fed receptacles during "Lights out".
My question is does the New Generator panel need to be grounded as a seperate service or just a 4wire cord run to it since it will be plugged directly into the Receptacle on the Generator?

Why would you make this harder than it needs to be? :-?

Install an interlock kit on the panel and a 30 amp inlet box and call it a day.

charlietuna

I agree with Scott ! When you install this "jury-rig" it adds no actual value to the cost of your house. The new owner would have to be an electrician to operate it. The cost and trouble to run new dedicated circuits will be a lot more than installing a small transfer panel or the interlock system. This way it becomes "A FEATURE" or a selling point.

Why would you make this harder than it needs to be? :-?

Install an interlock kit on the panel and a 30 amp inlet box and call it a day.

Is this allowed in the 2008 code?
the interlock kit prevents a utility back feed
but the 30amp outlet cant feed the WHOLE house
Isnt that now required?
(the generator must be capable of carrying the load without mechanical load shedding)

electricmanscott

Isnt that now required?
(the generator must be capable of carrying the load without mechanical load shedding)

Auto gennys must be sized to carry the entire load served. Manual setup allows the user to select the loads served.

ceb58

Isnt that now required?

That would be if there was an ATS. Installing and using the interlock would be manual.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
From what your saying your panel in the house is a sub panel. If so requires 4 wire feeder. House must have main breaker unless you only have 6 breakers. And as such neutrals and ground must be seperate and nuetral bar can not be bonded to panel.
The panel your adding is a second service .

Your exactly right, thats how it should be but thats not how it is.No Main in the house,20 circuit MLO and no Ground pulled in with the Feeder.2 hots and a neutral only from the Disconnect at the pole, No Ground rods driven at the house.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I agree with Scott ! When you install this "jury-rig" it adds no actual value to the cost of your house. The new owner would have to be an electrician to operate it. The cost and trouble to run new dedicated circuits will be a lot more than installing a small transfer panel or the interlock system. This way it becomes "A FEATURE" or a selling point.

It wouldnt be hard to operate. Its Very Simple.

electricmanscott

Your exactly right, thats how it should be but thats not how it is.No Main in the house,20 circuit MLO and no Ground pulled in with the Feeder.2 hots and a neutral only from the Disconnect at the pole, No Ground rods driven at the house.

Maybe you should forget about the generator for now and get what you already have up to code.

Status
Not open for further replies.