Solid versus Stranded Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Which one is used more often in commercial construction and why? I would imagine it is based o the application. I just watch a video stating the 3 differences between the two being cost, size and flexibility.

Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We always use stranded when being pulled into conduit. For some reason lately I've seen a lot of solid wire requirements in job specs. IMO when pulling #10's this is ridiculous. They even make stranded MC cable. Very nice when you need use #10 conductors to devices. Much easier to work with and terminate on receptacles than #10 solid.

About 90% of my work is commercial tenant finish and we wire a ton of furniture system work space cubicles. Some of them spec an 8 wire feed using #10.

Home runs for those circuits are about the only time I will allow stranded to be used on my projects.

I used to give the guys running their jobs much more leeway on wiring methods but today I am much more concerned about material buyout and cost control.

Yes, stranded is more $ than solid. I take labor into consideration.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
About 90% of my work is commercial tenant finish and we wire a ton of furniture system work space cubicles. Some of them spec an 8 wire feed using #10.

Home runs for those circuits are about the only time I will allow stranded to be used on my projects.

I used to give the guys running their jobs much more leeway on wiring methods but today I am much more concerned about material buyout and cost control.

Yes, stranded is more $ than solid. I take labor into consideration.

So stranded is more $$ but easier to work with? Two opposing factors huh.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Depending on your labor rate the two items are usually a wash. For us it's cheaper to use stranded because of the time saved during wire pulling.

Why is it easier to work with because it's stranded? What's the difference in pulling stranded as opposed to solid? Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So stranded is more $$ but easier to work with? Two opposing factors huh.

Exactly, and with value engineering we're seeing more and more raceways that are filled to capacity. Try to pull 16 solid #10's out of a 1" C condulet and feed them back in.

Exactly, and with value engineering we're seeing more and more raceways that are filled to capacity. Try to pull 16 solid #10's out of a 1" C condulet and feed them back in.

Now that is an interesting statement. Are you doing that related to conduit fill on 20A circuits?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why is it easier to work with because it's stranded? What's the difference in pulling stranded as opposed to solid? Thanks.

It kind of hard to envision the difference unless you've done it but try doing this simple test. Take 16-#10 solid conductors., tape the end and try to bend them all at once. Next do the same with 16-#10 stranded conductor. Now imagine those solid conductors going through 4-90's in a 1" EMT over a 200' run. Ouch.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Now that is an interesting statement. Are you doing that related to conduit fill on 20A circuits?

I should have added derating considerations to my last post.

Usually derating, voltage drop etc. Depending on the cost of installing the conduit it can be cheaper to run less conduits with larger conductors. Many times #10 conductors are part of our job spec.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
It's all about speed and solid don't cut it. Harder to pull, harder to splice, harder to term. The price diff. in Syracuse ny isn't worth the trouble.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
it would be interesting to hear from one of the wire manufacturers what the ratio of sales is say on #12 solid vs stranded.

Last edited:

jwjrw

it would be interesting to hear from one of the wire manufacturers what the ratio of sales is say on #12 solid vs stranded.

I would like to know that also. Have any of you ever used 1 or more solid with the rest stranded to get thru problem run? I worked with a guy who swore it helped.

It's all about speed and solid don't cut it. Harder to pull, harder to splice, harder to term. The price diff. in Syracuse ny isn't worth the trouble.

I disagree. When it comes to device terminations on CR type devices with side screws stranded takes a ton more time.

480sparky

...... Have any of you ever used 1 or more solid with the rest stranded to get thru problem run? I worked with a guy who swore it helped.

I could see that if you're not pulling, but pushing a short, small run. Maybe some 12s through 2 or 3 90's in no more than 50' total.

Status
Not open for further replies.