"Anti-virus On-line" Trojan virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I sure hope I'm wrong about this but I believe I somehow contracted a computer virus while using Photobucket. I'm posting this because many of us here in the forum use this service to post photos. It's also possible that I contracted this through an e-mail and it coincidentally appeared while on Photobucket. Anyway, while I was transferring photos and copying image locations, a window popped up indicating that I had a virus and the only way to remove this virus was to purchase this "Anti-virus On-Line" program. It completely took over my computer and I was not able to perform any functions. The only way out was to go into "Safe Mode" and change the registry date. If anyone needs instructions on how to do this send me a PM and I'll walk you through the process.

ty

a window popped up indicating that I had a virus and the only way to remove this virus was to purchase this "Anti-virus On-Line" program.
I haven't had any problems with photobucket.

When the window popped up, did you click on the link?

Typically the trjan will be the pop up, then when you click on it, the virus downloads.

You can get rid of the pop up by clicking Ctrl/Alt/Del to bring up Task Manager and then remove it from the applications and/or the Processes tab.

Also, make sure that the actual website address that you want is correct in the www bar above.

Oh, and stay away from Bit Torrents, if you're not very familiar with them. Major viruses there.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When the window popped up, did you click on the link?
When the window popped up it masked itself as something from Microsoft. It looked legit. My ESET Node anti-virus program didn't pick it up either.
You can get rid of the pop up by clicking Ctrl/Alt/Del to bring up Task Manager and then remove it from the applications and/or the Processes tab.
Wasn't able to do anything once the virus was on the computer. Each time I tried to do the Ctl-Alt-Del thing the more pop-ups appeared (almost like a key being stuck) and the task mgr would only appear for a split second. Safe Mode was the only way out.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
When the window popped up it masked itself as something from Microsoft. It looked legit. My ESET Node anti-virus program didn't pick it up either.
Wasn't able to do anything once the virus was on the computer. Each time I tried to do the Ctl-Alt-Del thing the more pop-ups appeared (almost like a key being stuck) and the task mgr would only appear for a split second. Safe Mode was the only way out.

I had the same thing pop up on my office computer yesterday. I never clicked on anything and I was finally able to get away from it.
It really did look legit.
We run Norton at work but at home we run AVG free version. I have never had a problem with AVG.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I was in my own account.
It starts as an adware popup.

If anyone gets that popup, do not click anywhere on it, including what appears to be the "window" close button. Instead, press Alt+F4 (close active window) or close from the taskbar.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
A little advice for those of you that are casual computer users. Any time your computer tells you that you have been infected, do not click anything. Close all windows, then open up your own anti-virus software that is already on your computer and run a scan. Also it helps if you have something like Spybot Search and Destroy (which is a free download, I've been using it for 10 years). Run a scan with that.

jwjrw

I had the same thing pop up on my office computer yesterday. I never clicked on anything and I was finally able to get away from it.
It really did look legit.
We run Norton at work but at home we run AVG free version. I have never had a problem with AVG.

Yep had AVG free for years. Never had a problem with it.

djohns6

I had a similar virus about two weeks ago . It told me that I was infected and needed to run this Virus Software to clean it . I closed all of the windows and pop ups and ran AVG . No dice . Had to wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows . I reloaded AVG along with Spybot and Adaware .
I think the virus came from an e-mail a friend of mine sent . I told him not to forward anything he gets to me . Conversation only .

wireguru

ive successfully removed that thing from a computer, but its quite a pain and I remember it taking several hours.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Some viruses, trojans and other junk cannot be removed using anti-virus software. They're so good (the trojans, viruses, etc.) that many times changes in the computer registry are required to get rid of them for good. This usually involves processes that are beyond the capability of the typical computer user. There are many great forums where computer experts can help with the removal of some of this stuff you can't get rid of on your own.

MAK

Some viruses, trojans and other junk cannot be removed using anti-virus software. They're so good (the trojans, viruses, etc.) that many times changes in the computer registry are required to get rid of them for good. This usually involves processes that are beyond the capability of the typical computer user. There are many great forums where computer experts can help with the removal of some of this stuff you can't get rid of on your own.

I have run into a scenario a while back where I had to get some help for my brother's computer (Trojan). I stumbled across this site that helped me out when it was "over my head". http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/

kbsparky

My wife got her computer infected with Antivirus System Pro, which is a trojan malware that hangs around on several social websites. As stated, it starts as a pop-up and anywhere you click on it starts the download and the infection.

The main problem I had with it was our costly AV software did nothing to help us with this, and I ended up having to manually remove it, using SafeMode and editing the windows registry.

Here is one web site that offers help to remove this nasty beastie.

Now, my AV software is nearing its renewal time, and I am NOT going to renew it. I am looking for another vendor that can recognize and zap such programs, without me wasting an entire afternoon manually dealing with it! :mad:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've used www.geekstogo.com for help in the past. They have a pretty good tutorial on maleware, spyware and viruses that includes links to all different free programs that you can use to detect, clean and keep you computer safe. It's really too bad that we pay hundreds of dollars for a computer and the manufacturer can't make it safe right out of the box.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...the manufacturer can't make it safe right out of the box.
But it is safe right out of the box. It is not at risk until you plug it in. :D

Vista's User Account Control (UAC) was an attempt at making Windows computer's more safe, but it is a big PITA. 99 out of 100 times or greater, when UAC intercedes, the user has invoked a system response through either the keyboard or mouse. Apparently UAC cannot determine between a keyboard or mouse entry and a data-generated call. :confused: Of course, UAC doesn't help user error, inadvertent or not ;)

Does Windows 7 have UAC? If so, is it installed active by default? ...has its PITA factor changed?

FWIW, I've found the combination of Kaspersky antivirus/internet security and the Firefox browser work quite well (as in, no known infections). KIS filters the email and firefox is set to block pop-ups except from known sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.