Cold weather electricians

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwjrw

Got 3" of snow and the whole world is shut down here. Since we get very little snow (it gets cold as heck and we get ice some) I was wondering how companys in cold climates figure labor on outside jobs in winter. Do you figure a higher year round price? I can imagine how bad it would be on a service call in the snow and ice day in and day out. Then again maybe if you live in that kinda climate you get used to it. I dont think I would:D

Buck Parrish

Last year I was in Indiana those guys really bundle up in all the carhart type clothing. It seemed like every guy was wearing insulated overalls.
They we're just glad to have a job.
We're just getting snow, and may be a little sleet, in the Triangle.
Are you in Mecklenburg NC?

jwjrw

Last year I was in Indiana those guys really bundle up in all the carhart type clothing. It seemed like every guy was wearing insulated overalls.
They we're just glad to have a job.
We're just getting snow, and may be a little sleet, in the Triangle.
Are you in Mecklenburg NC?

Yes im in meck. We did a sewer lift for the superwalmart in locust nc last year. It was so cold and the wind was blowing sooo hard and started snowing. The generator was 2 weeks late and we were pressed for time. I couldnt imagine having to do that every day

Buck Parrish

Yes im in meck. We did a sewer lift for the superwalmart in locust nc last year. It was so cold and the wind was blowing sooo hard and started snowing. The generator was 2 weeks late and we were pressed for time. I couldnt imagine having to do that every day

That's funny we done 4 partial renovations for Wallmarts last year. Seems like bussiness is good for them right now.

jwjrw

That's funny we done 4 partial renovations for Wallmarts last year. Seems like bussiness is good for them right now.

What county are you in? I did the sewer lift for the walmart but was included in the land sale so I didnt do it for walmart exactly.

electricmanscott

I read that on average you can count on 10% reduction in productivity in winter. Not sure what that is based on. It's 5 degrees right now and was also yesterday. I'm roughing a huge addition and I know my production is down way more than 10%.

The real question is what is going to kill me first, the cold or the fumes from the heaters. :cool:

nakulak

It costs a lot of money to fight the weather, whether its snow, rain, cold, heat or whatever. I enjoy fighting the weather when there's money in the job for it, otherwise it's just not good for the pocketbook.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I read that on average you can count on 10% reduction in productivity in winter. Not sure what that is based on. It's 5 degrees right now and was also yesterday. I'm roughing a huge addition and I know my production is down way more than 10%.

The real question is what is going to kill me first, the cold or the fumes from the heaters. :cool:

No kidding. I was supposed to do a service yesterday but it was too cold and windy for them to finish the siding. Even when I get this service installed and the house juiced up, they don't even have a heating system installed. So I'll be doing finish work (Pre-fab house) in the freezing cold.

jwjrw

No kidding. I was supposed to do a service yesterday but it was too cold and windy for them to finish the siding. Even when I get this service installed and the house juiced up, they don't even have a heating system installed. So I'll be doing finish work (Pre-fab house) in the freezing cold.

So sorry you have an outside service to do but at least inside you can use a bullet or propane heater. Or I would!

stjohnbarleycorn

cold is a pain, in residential the heaters are worse, but most of the commercial jobs have gas heat, at least the ones I have see.
I learned to work with gloves, as much as possible. I had to fix a heater on a classroom trailer once, it was mounted outside on the northeast side, the wind chill was below zero. I had to work in 5 minute parts, cause it was too tight for gloves. I did get some minor frostbite, which still affects me after 20 years. I would never do that again.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
51WS5J0EFHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

These are decent to protect your hands yet still allow for most wiring.

amptech

Just got back to the shop from putting up triplex ACSR at a cattle farm all morning. It was 11? when I started and it is 22? now. 10-15 MPH wind while squeezing connectors on the top of (4) 28' poles. I wore my thinsulate lined jeans, long sleeved Carhart T-shirt, insulated Carhart vest, Carhart coat, wool sox, Redwing work boots, quilted hardhat liner and Carhart tobogan. For gloves I wore Ansul Hyflex electrician's gloves with fingerless wool gloves on top of them. The only part of me that got cold was my chin. Gotta love Indiana in the winter.

macmikeman

Couple of years ago I traveled to assist a buddy with his new house in the highlands of Arizona. It was about 3 deg. F each morning and got to 30 at the peak. We were bundled up like Inuit all day trying to get the wiring done. A real eye opener for somebody who is able to spend time each day of the year swimming in the ocean. You guys can have it and hats off to you for doing it. I thank God I do not have to. :cool:

chris1971

When you grow up with harsh winters (Minnesota) you typically dress warm take more breaks to warm up, bid the job a little higher if possible and reschedule if the weather is -5 with wind.

jwjrw

When you grow up with harsh winters (Minnesota) you typically dress warm take more breaks to warm up, bid the job a little higher if possible and reschedule if the weather is -5 with wind.

I couldnt imagine doing outdoor or new construction in that kinda weather. I feel for you guys. No wonder we are getting invaded from the south and the north down here!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.