Can I do this myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Ok our money is tight and we would like to add two additional downlights on a separate switch.When sitting at out table/island area the light is behind us and it is dark in from of us.

Can I do this installation myself if I look online for tutorials etc?

jwjrw

Ok our money is tight and we would like to add two additional downlights on a separate switch.When sitting at out table/island area the light is behind us and it is dark in from of us.

A homeowner can take a test at our county code office. If they pass it they can do their own electrical work. Its not too hard to do what you want but you need some basic knowledge and it needs to be looked at by an inspector to verify it is safe.

growler

You should be able to, most people can if they are willing to invest the time necessary to do the job right.

People get into trouble when they think it's going to take 2 hours on saturday morning and that's less time than it may takes a professional and he does it all the time.

Give yourself enough time, have some idea of what you are doing before you start and don't be afraid to ask questions or open a book and you can do most anything.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Here is my "can I do it"

Here is my "can I do it"

Thanks a lot. Don't mean t put this here if it not the place but here is a pic of our kitchen. You can see when sitting the light is behind us so when we are reading there, on the comp or eating it's dark and covered with our shadows. Want to install a separate switch next to the existing one(have to reconfigure) to control the new lights. My brother-in law is actually a IBEW electrician and lives around the corner from me. He said if I need a hand he will gladly come by. I asked if I could tie the lights into an existing circuit but control them separately and he said yes but I have to make sure the circuit can handle the additional load. I am sure he'll be by tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

jwjrw

Thanks a lot. Don't mean t put this here if it not the place but here is a pic of our kitchen. You can see when sitting the light is behind us so when we are reading there, on the comp or eating it's dark and covered with our shadows. Want to install a separate switch next to the existing one(have to reconfigure) to control the new lights. My brother-in law is actually a IBEW electrician and lives around the corner from me. He said if I need a hand he will gladly come by. I asked if I could tie the lights into an existing circuit but control them separately and he said yes but I have to make sure the circuit can handle the additional load. I am sure he'll be by tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

If there is room change the box to a 2gang(if thats a single gang in pic. And its not a three way switch) then all you have to do is pull a switchleg out of it. Just a thought.

Buck Parrish

If your an estimator you probably know a lot more then me. But how and the world do you "not know" if the existing circuit will handle two additional 60 watt bulbs ;) You must not be estimating resi...but they use 60 watt bulbs every where.:)
Looks like a header on the wall. If not, you could drill through the 2x4's and use a round pancake box scrwed to the 2x4 recessed in the sheet rock.
Stick a j-box in the attic. Use a glo stick to fish the switch...:cool:

Last edited:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If your an estimator you probably know a lot more then me. But how and the world do you "not know" if the existing circuit will handle two additional 60 watt bulbs ;) You must not be estimating resi...but they use 60 watt bulbs every where.:)
Looks like a header on the wall. If not, you could drill through the 2x4's and use a round pancake box scrwed to the 2x4 recessed in the sheet rock.
Stick a j-box in the attic. Use a glo stick to fish the switch...:cool:

I do know that it can handle the additional load. I was jut stating what my BIL said and thanks A LOT for the tips.

cadpoint

Seems like a real job if you want to get into that corner blade wall.

If your going break gysum in that wall I wouldn't, put everything in on the end cap of the wall and build it out.
Your drill could be eaiser controlled up through the tranvese member and your could have all Switches with-in reach around distance from the other side.

((I can't see the exist. switch)) opps I never looked left, Duh; nevermind

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If there is room change the box to a 2gang(if thats a single gang in pic. And its not a three way switch) then all you have to do is pull a switchleg out of it.
As long as there's a grounded conductor in it, of course.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Changed location

Changed location

Ok we are putting up a light right above the window there. Again, because of the ceiling light being in the middle when yo stand at the counter you block the light. So annoying. We have undercabinet lights but right in the pic is very dark. There is no header there like the other location just the drywall. The fixture is very light..about 1 1/2lb.

Sorry guys I know am not an electrician but I am excited about this soooooooooo off to gym, them Home Depot then start project and maybe throw in a pick 4 wager at Gulfstream PArk. Thank

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.