Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

Yeah, it sucks when it's really cold out. Did a service upgrade when it was
-12 one time. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!

~Shado~

Yeah, it sucks when it's really cold out. Did a service upgrade when it was
-12 one time. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!

Yep...in my younger, ignorant days....it was all about the $$$$.

Now that I am on the downhill side of the average life span time.....I think much differently.....comfort and effieciency are more important. Getting sick can cost more in the long run I think.

macmikeman

My winter PPE:
coppertone-sport-sunscreen-lotion-spf-30-ultra-sweat-proof.jpg
+
mens-trunks-black-hibiscus.jpg
[/IMG] +
hompagephoto.gif
[/IMG] +
0000_River_Road_New_Attitude_Sunglasses_Dark_Tint.jpg

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
My winter PPE:
coppertone-sport-sunscreen-lotion-spf-30-ultra-sweat-proof.jpg
+
mens-trunks-black-hibiscus.jpg
[/IMG] +
hompagephoto.gif
[/IMG] +
0000_River_Road_New_Attitude_Sunglasses_Dark_Tint.jpg

I'm not liking you very much right now. LOL
10 inches of snow and 17 degrees here in Virginia. Larry Fine how much did you get?
Fortunately I don't work in the field anymore. Don't even miss it either.......

dmagyar

It's Murphys' law

It's Murphys' law

I'm still trying to figure out why most attic work happens June through August and most outdoor(& indoor, unheated) work happens December through February.:confused::mad:

It's the same on a 8' fixture halfway between the landing and the other half over a stairway, the ballast is always on the end over the stairs.

With attic work though at least you can go outside, drain your ice bucket over your head to feel better. With cold there isn't the same respite, until you're back in the truck with the heater blasting.

jmargolis79

A few weeks ago we had a power outage at a grocery store, when power was restored at 11pm I had to check all roof tops units. It was the -5 airtemp and a good wind blowing. the only part of my skin exposed was my eyes and i ran very fast. still had to do two 5 minutes runs at it. You just work fast and bundle up.

hardworkingstiff

I read that on average you can count on 10% reduction in productivity in winter. Not sure what that is based on. It's 5 degrees right now and was also yesterday. I'm roughing a huge addition and I know my production is down way more than 10%.
Yea, 10% seems to optimistic. When I was working in cold, I think a 25% reduction was more like it.
The real question is what is going to kill me first, the cold or the fumes from the heaters. :cool:
I DO NOT miss that at all. Good luck to you.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
How about shoveling snow from your truck. Three times in one day each time It had a foot plus of that white stuff.

Or you get to the job and take of the coveralls and change out of the wet clothes and dam I forgot the dewalt kit. Put back on all that stuff and find that the trail and your footprints were already coverd over by new snow.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
If it has to done we do it. Most of the time a bit of scheduling and planning can make things bearable. It just takes longer.

Nothing more fun than laying in a hog pen working on a waterer that has frozen, unless it is giving the significant a hug before she realizes where you have been.

stevenje

I remember wiring a 21 unit condo project in Breckenridge CO in the dead of winter in the late 70's. If it was clear over night it was brutal in the morning. We would listen to the local radio station before going to the jobsite and we would hear it was 10 to 20 below on the clear mornings. You would hope it would snow so it would warm up. There was no heat on the jobsite. You had to store the wire off site in a heated work trailer or the insulation on the wire would crack or split when you pulled it. The State inspector knew this and really checked for this problem. A lot of guys just couldn't handle the cold and would head back down to Denver to try and find work. What an experience! I wouldn't do it again but glad I did it.

I remember wiring a 21 unit condo project in Breckenridge CO in the dead of winter in the late 70's. If it was clear over night it was brutal in the morning. We would listen to the local radio station before going to the jobsite and we would hear it was 10 to 20 below on the clear mornings. You would hope it would snow so it would warm up. There was no heat on the jobsite. You had to store the wire off site in a heated work trailer or the insulation on the wire would crack or split when you pulled it. The State inspector knew this and really checked for this problem. A lot of guys just couldn't handle the cold and would head back down to Denver to try and find work. What an experience! I wouldn't do it again but glad I did it.

Now that is funny. Back then, go to the only stop light in town and turn right. A block up and you will find the Saw Mill Creek Condos. Coldest Winter of my life was piping the feeders from the service to each unit through the parking structure.

You almost did not want to take a break to warm up because you would need to go back out and adjust to the cold again. My mom had made me a Frost Line Parka and it was stolen on that job.

Last edited:

stevenje

Now that is funny. Back then, go to the only stop light in town and turn right. A block up and you will find the Saw Mill Creek Condos. Coldest Winter of my life was piping the feeders from the service to each unit through the parking structure.

You almost did not want to take a break to warm up because you would need to go back out and adjust to the cold again. My mom had made me a Frost Line Parka and it was stolen on that job.

If my memory serves me right the project was called the Double Eagle Condos. It was on Four-a-Clock Road or that might have been the name of the ski slope run it was near. I do remember one of the restaurants we would frequent was named the Whales Tale. Every now and then we would drive over to Frisco to Smoke'n Willey's for ribs or go to a bar named the Moose Jaw to shoot pool and have a beer.
We picked up some more work in the area that following summer and went over to Smoke'n Willy's to eat. The sign out front said closed so we went around back. The owner came to the back door and told us that they were closed for the week. He said that the Hell Angles were in town and had hired them to feed the gang while they were camped at one of the nearby state campgrounds for one of their week long road rallies. Wild times in Summit County in the 70's!

jwjrw

I started this thread because we got a little snow and it shut down everything. Of course they dont clear our roads like they do up north.
But I do know how hard it is to work in the cold and I would hate to have that to look foward to for a whole winter.

If my memory serves me right the project was called the Double Eagle Condos. It was on Four-a-Clock Road or that might have been the name of the ski slope run it was near. I do remember one of the restaurants we would frequent was named the Whales Tale. Every now and then we would drive over to Frisco to Smoke'n Willey's for ribs or go to a bar named the Moose Jaw to shoot pool and have a beer.
We picked up some more work in the area that following summer and went over to Smoke'n Willy's to eat. The sign out front said closed so we went around back. The owner came to the back door and told us that they were closed for the week. He said that the Hell Angles were in town and had hired them to feed the gang while they were camped at one of the nearby state campgrounds for one of their week long road rallies. Wild times in Summit County in the 70's!

That is too funny. I do believe the Hells Angles camped at Officers Gulch up I-70 towards Copper.

I stayed in a condo where the Snake enters Dillon Res in Summit Cove. It got so damm cold the incoming water pipes froze and the owner said he would not do anything about it 'till spring. So after that I was in a condo in Wildernest.

You must have eaten at the Old Dillon Inn (ODI) back then. How about the Snake River Saloon up in Keystone.

I started this thread because we got a little snow and it shut down everything. Of course they dont clear our roads like they do up north.
But I do know how hard it is to work in the cold and I would hate to have that to look foward to for a whole winter.

Good thread........ Brings back many good memories. We would cut off the forefinger and thumb on a glove to be able to handle staples and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.