NEC 210, Dwelling Type Occupancies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

Per the NEC:

In every kitchen, dining room, breakfast room, living room, parlor, library, den, sun room, recreation room and bedroom, one receptacle outlet shall be provided for every 20 linear feet of major fraction thereof of the total (gross) distance around the room as measured horizintally along the wall at the floor line.

1947 NEC published 63 years ago. I believe that was changed approximately 3 times as far as the distance is concerned.

Amazing to see this verbage from so long ago.

ivsenroute

I just bought this one and had it delivered. All for under $9. I am afraid to open it up. It is in fantastic condition like it was never opened.

Hard to believe that the code is over 100 years old and still the staple of the industry since it is not a governing body.

Volta

As a "recommendation" it goes back to at least to 1933.

1933:2012a. " . . .is recommended for all single family dwellings and all multiple family . . ."

b. " In every kitchen, dining . . . no point on the wall . . . more than 15 feet distant from such an outlet. . ."

iwire

Staff member
It could possibly be said that it is far worse.

You think elected officials would do better? LMAO!

And to be 'National' it would have to be the FEDs, our code book would be 18 volumes and understandable to no one but FED lawyers who live outside any sort of real world.

The NEC / NFPA are not perfect but to keep the book as small as it is after all this time is pretty good.

ivsenroute

It has certainly grown since I first started buying it in the 80's. I am impressed that a private organization has a standard that is used by the entire nation in one way or another as "law".

I agree, if the federal gov was to write the code book, it would probably be volumes of redundancy and BS.

jwjrw

But have you noticed that the way some of the wording in the code sounds like a government beaurocrat wrote it?

iwire

Staff member
But have you noticed that the way some of the wording in the code sounds like a government beaurocrat wrote it?

I strongly suggest you go and look at some things government bureaucrats have written and I think you will find the NEC is a cake walk comparatively speaking. :)

kbsparky

While gov't bureaucrats may be responsible for some of the gobbledygook these days, I'd blame the writing style more on paid lobbyists that submit legislation and Code proposals.

The Code is moving from a(n un-biased) safety standard to accepting things submitted from those who have the highest paid lobbyists these days. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.