NEC silent on color code

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
If all/most electricians use the standard black,red, blue for 120/208v and brown, orange, yellow for 277/480v, why does the NEC remain silent? :-?

nakulak

I don't believe it's because it's a design issue.

I honestly believe it's because it would cause other problems. For example, how many times have you seen red thhn that was really pink or orange. I've seen yellow that was orange, gray that looked black, etc etc etc.

It's hard enough for the manufacturers just to get green and white right.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Because it is a design issue and not a code issue.

Would green and white be considered design issues?

I think its a safety issue not having a standard color code for the two widely used systems in the USA (120/208v and 277/480v). Take a look at 90.1(A)

480sparky

Would green and white be considered design issues?

I think its a safety issue not having a standard color code for the two widely used systems in the USA (120/208v and 277/480v). Take a look at 90.1(A)

White and green (as well as gray and green with one or more yellow stripes) are reserved respectively for the grounded and grounding conductors. Thier proper identification is a safety issue.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I don't believe it's because it's a design issue.

I honestly believe it's because it would cause other problems. For example, how many times have you seen red thhn that was really pink or orange. I've seen yellow that was orange, gray that looked black, etc etc etc.

It's hard enough for the manufacturers just to get green and white right.

Although they may be a little different, they are always identifiable.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
White and green (as well as gray and green with one or more yellow stripes) are reserved respectively for the grounded and grounding conductors. Thier proper identification is a safety issue.

What if you opened a box and checked two different red wires to ground, wire 1 read 120v to ground, and wire 2 to ground read 277v. If the code was changed, the one red wire would have to be either brown/orange/yellow.

480sparky

What if you opened a box and checked two different red wires to ground, wire 1 read 120v to ground, and wire 2 to ground read 277v. If the code was changed, the one red wire would have to be either brown/orange/yellow.

Then a qualified electrician [per 90.1(C)] would know it was installed prior to adoption of the 2008 NEC.

Now consider this: How would you treat a gray wire?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The CMP panel has stated we don't want you to look at a black wire and assume its 120V. We want you to test and be sure.
Its interesting there are far more questions on this color code than on the re-identification of 6 and smaller neutrals and EGC with phase tape. Every electrician has violated 200.6 and 250.119.

iwire

Staff member
If all/most electricians use the standard black,red, blue for 120/208v and brown, orange, yellow for 277/480v, why does the NEC remain silent? :-?

Because even when the NEC is not silent it is often ignored.

None of us should trust a color to tell us anything.

Mixed139-1.jpg

Last edited:

eric7379

Because even when the NEC is not silent it is often ignored.

None of us should trust a color to tell us anything.

Well said. The only person that I trust is my fiance and even then, if she were to tell me "the circuit is de-energized, trust me!", I would not trust her. I would LOTO first, then verify it with a meter. I would never depend on the color of a wire to tell me what the voltage was.

yired29

This situation is covered by the NEC 210.5 (C) Ungrounded conductors, where more than one nominal voltage is present each branch circuit conductor where accessible shall be identified by system.

roger3829

This situation is covered by the NEC 210.5 (C) Ungrounded conductors, where more than one nominal voltage is present each branch circuit conductor where accessible shall be identified by system.

What would prevent me from identifing all my 120/208 ungrounded conductors as black and all my 277/480 ungrounded conductors as red?

yired29

What would prevent me from identifing all my 120/208 ungrounded conductors as black and all my 277/480 ungrounded conductors as red?

There is nothing in the NEC, some local jurisdictions may require a color code.

As for my post I was saying you can't have a red 120 volt conductor and a red 277 volt conductor in the same building. This is a 210.5 (C) issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.