Foster Home Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I got a call from a customer saying that she needed an inspection of her house for electrical safety to complete her foster care license. Has anybody done this before? Are there special licenses you need to complete this inspection? What does the state need for this (I am in Idaho)? Any information would be helpful

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Get a copy of the report stating she need this inspection and it should give you some insight as to whats involved, required and whether your qualified.

Buck Parrish

The ones I have been involved with ussually had already had an inspection from a city agency with request of things to have fixed.
You will probably want to check the service. Definetly no fuse panels, add TR's or blank cover the outlets in areas where not needed.
Add smokes and maybe an emergency light or exit.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would not give any certificate but simply state the condition of the wiring. I am sure there are smoke , heat & fire detectors as well as other issues she must have that may not be needed in a standard home.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Safety or code?

IMHO

If your are an electrical contractor then look to see if things 'work'. Safe.

If you are an electrical inspector then look for code compliance. Code.

Make sense?

Does this include smokes, lighting for egress, etc.?

Example: Ohio:
"For the purpose of this law, "practice of electrical inspection" includes any ascertainment of compliance with the Ohio building code, or the electrical code of a political subdivision of this state by a person, who, for compensation, inspects the construction and installation of electrical conductors, fittings, devices, and fixtures for light, heat or power services equipment, or the installation, alteration, replacement, maintenance, or repair of any electrical wiring and equipment that is subject to any of the aforementioned codes. (taken from ORC Chapter 3783.)"

I would stick to "the state of function, operation or relative hazards". In Ohio this does not fall under Chapter 3783. Board of Building Standards opinion.

You should check your state's laws and an attorney before performing this inspection.

nakulak

call the health dept and find out exactly what they need. for all you know they want to have kiddie plug covers installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.