duplex service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

I going to remove a double meter base on duplex apartment. Owner wants to go back with seperate service on each apart. The present service is 100 amp each side with no outside disc. Im going to add 100 amp outside disconnects and run 4 conductor wire to panels. My question is can I use 100 amp dissconnects with out a main breaker and install 100 breaker to supply the feeder or do I need a 100 amp main and come off the main lugs at bottom. The problem is the supply houses here only have main lug 100a disc but the 200 amp have main breaker. If I backfeed a 100 amp mounted on the buss to form a main then I would have to install another 100 a breaker to supply the feeder.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You may have six disconnects to disconnect the service so you could use a main lug panel. I would make sure that the 100 amp panel will allow a 100 amp breaker on the buss. Many of those units will limit the size of the OCPD.

jetlag

They make 2 gang meter sockets that come with 100a circuit breakers in them.

They dont want the 2 gang . When tennents damage the base to steal current the poco wants to cut the drop but that will cut off the other tennent. I know my post is confussing i tried to edit but time ran out. I think i will be better off to use 200 amp disconnects on each and install a 100 amp breaker for the feeders .

roger3829

They dont want the 2 gang . When tennents damage the base to steal current the poco wants to cut the drop but that will cut off the other tennent. I know my post is confussing i tried to edit but time ran out. I think i will be better off to use 200 amp disconnects on each and install a 100 amp breaker for the feeders .

I don't think that would be allowed where I am.

Why would you need 200a disconnects? If I am reading it right, you will install 2 - 100a meter sockets with each having their own riser to be connected to the POCO?

construct

Owner wants to go back with seperate service on each apart.

Take a look at 230.2 and you might want to talk to your AHJ to see if there are any amendments. Unless you can meet one of the conditions in 230.2(A) thru(D), that structure can have only service. Unless for some wild, crazy reason someone put a true firewall between the units creating two separate buildings.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't think that would be allowed where I am.

Why would you need 200a disconnects? If I am reading it right, you will install 2 - 100a meter sockets with each having their own riser to be connected to the POCO?

Possibly because of the problem with 100 amp disconnects that are carried at his supplier.

TCN

Take a look at 230.2 and you might want to talk to your AHJ to see if there are any amendments. Unless you can meet one of the conditions in 230.2(A) thru(D), that structure can have only service. Unless for some wild, crazy reason someone put a true firewall between the units creating two separate buildings.

True true. Otherwise, I like your 200A can w/ 100A mains idea. The POCO gets spoiled enough as it is though.

benaround

Two risers tied to one POCO overhead drop, would still be just one service. This could be done 6 times at the same location and still be one service.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Two risers tied to one POCO overhead drop, would still be just one service. This could be done 6 times at the same location and still be one service.

But that wouldn't solve the problem the OP was talking about. The POCO wants to be able to shut down the service without affecting the other drops. And I imagine they don't want to disconnect it at the riser, they want to disconnect it from the street.

construct

I do agree with you because the end of the POCO overhead drop would be one point of service. I was picturing a separate service on each unit.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
But that wouldn't solve the problem the OP was talking about. The POCO wants to be able to shut down the service without affecting the other drops. And I imagine they don't want to disconnect it at the riser, they want to disconnect it from the street.
One of the area POCOs has requested seperate risers on some situations so they can cut one riser loose where non-payment and "meter jumping" is a problem.

jetlag

One of the area POCOs has requested seperate risers on some situations so they can cut one riser loose where non-payment and "meter jumping" is a problem.

It is now a single riser serving a duplex 100a meter. The poco would rather be able to cut the drop at the pole but would be happy if could keep one drop and cut at the riser. I had planned to use two risers with 200a conductors to supply two 200a meter sockets and disconnects. That way the service is increased to 200a and will use an 8 space disconnect so extra circuits can be ran if needed. I will use a 100a breaker to supply the existing 100 a panels. And yes power theft is a big problem here, but I dont live that close to those type of areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.