Engineer's Design???

Status
Not open for further replies.

moresi

I just received an engineers drawing for a 400 amp underground service to a single family house. Here is what I do not agree with and I am sure I will have support on this forum. From pad mount transformer he has 6 300mcm xhhw Al being run in single 4" PVC to meter pedestal along with a 1/0 CU ground. Is the ground wire from padmount to meter pedestal o.k.? From meter pedestal we have two runs of 4/0 AL xhhw in separate 2 1/2" pvc conduits going to house and each run has a #2 Cu ground wire in it. First run hits a main disco. inside house for supply of a 200 amp panel at other end of house (PP2) second run hits 200 amp panel (PP1). Grounding - this is where the problem with design seems to be, is as follows- #2 CU from water line hitting main disconnect and then 200 amp main panel. My question here is no detail is given. Shouldn't #2 CU be continuous through the main disconnect hitting ground bar and then go on to PP1. Also is the #2 CU in both runs from meter pedestal correct? I must admit I am confused with what I have been presented here. Also am I correct to be keeping my grounds and neutrals seperated with my OCPD being at meter pedestal?? Finally he has me supplying PP2 with 3 4/0 XHHW AL from disconnect and a #8 CU ground. Now I know this is not right, should be a #4. I just wanted some input before I respond to engineer with list of issues. How would you tactfully suggest this appropriately to the engineer?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I just received an engineers drawing for a 400 amp underground service to a single family house. Here is what I do not agree with and I am sure I will have support on this forum. From pad mount transformer he has 6 300mcm xhhw Al being run in single 4" PVC to meter pedestal along with a 1/0 CU ground. Is the ground wire from padmount to meter pedestal o.k.?

Assuming single phase and 1 set of your 300s is a neutral, I see no reason fro the 1/0
From meter pedestal we have two runs of 4/0 AL xhhw in separate 2 1/2" pvc conduits going to house and each run has a #2 Cu ground wire in it.
Again, if the meter pedestal has no overcuurent devices, I see no reason for the #2
First run hits a main disco. inside house for supply of a 200 amp panel at other end of house (PP2) second run hits 200 amp panel (PP1).
Grounding - this is where the problem with design seems to be, is as follows- #2 CU from water line hitting main disconnect and then 200 amp main panel. ?

There should be 1 grounding electrode conductor from each service disconnect. They can each be routed seperately to the water or one can be tapped to a common electrode conductor, which in this case should be a 1/0
My question here is no detail is given. Shouldn't #2 CU be continuous through the main disconnect hitting ground bar and then go on to PP1. Also is the #2 CU in both runs from meter pedestal correct? I must admit I am confused with what I have been presented here. Also am I correct to be keeping my grounds and neutrals separated with my OCPD being at meter pedestal?? Finally he has me supplying PP2 with 3 4/0 XHHW AL from disconnect and a #8 CU ground. Now I know this is not right, should be a #4. ?

From the disconnect to PP2 could be a #6 Cu based on 200 amp

I just wanted some input before I respond to engineer with list of issues. How would you tactfully suggest this appropriately to the engineer?

Engineer and tactfully..surely you jest :)

moresi

I should eleborate. The meter pedestal is a meter main - which has 2 - 200 amp main breakers for OCPD. This is required by our POCO here. I am just wondering why #2 is specified for grounding. Can I not use #4CU?

SAC

If you don't think something flies, let them know why you think that. Give the section number, why you think that the plans violate that section, and ask why it doesn't apply. In your post you have a long description, but no references to the code. You'll get better attention from the engineer(s) if you have the code references (if not simply because hat it saves them from having to search the code - if they were to bother to).

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I should eleborate. The meter pedestal is a meter main - which has 2 - 200 amp main breakers for OCPD. This is required by our POCO here. I am just wondering why #2 is specified for grounding. Can I not use #4CU?

That changes things. From your meter pedestal combo, here you would need a a #6 Cu or #4 AL to you disconnect & panel.
Per 250.32(E) the grounding electrode conductor from your disconnect and panel would have to be sized per 250.66. In your case,a #4 cu from each, or a common 1/0 Cu to the water with #4 taps to each disconnect.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
excellent point, Cow. I was to busy looking at the trees.
Correct 225.30

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes the #1/0 from the transformer must come out since it would be in parallel with the neutral and would do nothing. There can only be one supply to the house so the two 200 amp feeders is incorrect. Sounds like the entire setup needs to be redesigned.

moresi

I have seen this type of service used on other large homes here in the area where a meter main with 2 - 200 amp breakers is used - pedestal mount - and 2 sets of feeders run to the home. The OCPD at the meter / main is a requirement of the POCO as a means of disconnect. PErhaps it is allowed under 225.30(B)(2).

Jomaul

Correct me if I am wrong but 225.30 limits the number of supplies to more than 1 building on the same property. Th OP has 1 house on 1 piece of property so 225.30 would not apply in this case. What the OP has is 1 service feeding 1 house with 2 sub panels. I don't see the problem with that.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Correct me if I am wrong but 225.30 limits the number of supplies to more than 1 building on the same property. Th OP has 1 house on 1 piece of property so 225.30 would not apply in this case.

I am also comfortable with this installation, in that it is _essentially_ the same as having a meter-main on the side of the house, followed by two feeders to two separate sub panels inside the house.

The technicality that may make it a code violation is that the meter pedestal can be considered a _separate structure_. So if the AHJ interprets things this way, then you have two feeders from one structure to another.

I believe that it makes more sense to consider the meter pedestal to be an component of the house...but I believe that a literal reading of the definition of 'structure' and the requirements for detached structures actually supports the more restrictive definition.

-Jon

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Obviously, as Winnie, Cow and Jomaul all point out. Acceptance of this installation in general will depend on how your AHJ looks at the separate pedestal in reference to 225.30.
If the "two feeders" are allowed, the I refer back to my post #5.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Obviously, as Winnie, Cow and Jomaul all point out. Acceptance of this installation in general will depend on how your AHJ looks at the separate pedestal in reference to 225.30.
If the "two feeders" are allowed, the I refer back to my post #5.

So even if the AHJ accepted this arrangement based on the definition of a structure and it's application to the meter pedestal wouldn't the two disconnects need to be grouped together at the house? Sounds like the panels are at opposite ends of the house.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I may have misread the OP, but I though that PP1 and a 200 amp disconnect were grouped and the disconnect fed PP2 at the other end of the house.

moresi

Yes, PP1 and a main 200 amp disconnect is grouped together in mechanical room 1 where feeders from pedestal enter. So at this point, as I assumed, we agree that the desing is wrong in including a ground wire running from pad mount xformer to pedestal. It seems to me that design should have two rods driven at pedestal and then 2 sets of 4 conductor cable run to house - 4/0 xhhw Al and #4 CU ground each set. Then at house water pipe ground should be 1/0 CU hitting PP1 and 200 amp disco. I plan on sending this to engineer along with code sections.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Yes, PP1 and a main 200 amp disconnect is grouped together in mechanical room 1 where feeders from pedestal enter. So at this point, as I assumed, we agree that the desing is wrong in including a ground wire running from pad mount xformer to pedestal. It seems to me that design should have two rods driven at pedestal and then 2 sets of 4 conductor cable run to house - 4/0 xhhw Al and #4 CU ground each set. Then at house water pipe ground should be 1/0 CU hitting PP1 and 200 amp disco. I plan on sending this to engineer along with code sections.

sounds good to me, not a fact that will matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.