Votes: 26 35.1%
  • Stay the Same

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardworkingstiff

Not really. I think (hope) it won't stumble. I did speak with an engineer today that told me they were seeing more commercial work where they were getting along with stimulis work, so that's good news.

This was a serious economic drop that I believe was close to catastrophic. A flat and not falling year would be OK, hoping for improvment.

chris1971

Lou-

I feel the same way. If we can make it through the next year or two then, hopefully things will slowly improve?

shamsdebout

I don't think so, unfortunately, there is not enough work to go around. With the work slow you get an idea how many people are in the industry, there is no shortage of workers.

laketime

I deal with a business coach from the state and he is telling us to predict sales to remain the same this year as last. They are predicting an upsurge is sales in 2011 in the home remodel area of our industry. They feel there will be pent up demand that will start to flow into the market in 2011. Commercial is about to hit a downturn this year according to their predictors (plus commercial usually lags residential in market trends). All we can do as contractors is increase advertising budgets and work hard to gain new customers and keep existing ones. People are working it is just a matter of how much harder you have to go to get it and can you carve a profit out of diminished pricing.

knoppdude

While I hope things get better overall, and I am glad some people are thriving, I am very pessimistic about the US economy in general, and the electrical industry in particular. I have just begun to contract on my own, as no one is hiring electricians in my area. Everyone I know has lost their job, including myself, so I decided to create my own, and if I succeed, I intend to help someone else by offering employment. The problem as I see it is that so much of our manufacturing has been outsourced, that when consumers spend, most of the money goes overseas. Just my opinion that things may be gloomy for a long time. I hope I am wrong.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I voted stay the same but wouldn't that be the same as voting no?
Exactly. Then when you add the two together the "no's" will be ahead 54% - 46%. Pretty grim outlook if you ask me.:mad: I'd rather be on the positive side than the negative.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
God bless you Scott and I hope it continues to go well for you. For a lot of us here in NJ and in other parts of the US there's still a lot of $$$ around but people are stuffing it in their mattresses and spending it cautiously. Builders are scrounging around for work and EC's are dropping their drawers to get jobs.

electricmanscott

God bless you Scott and I hope it continues to go well for you. For a lot of us here in NJ and in other parts of the US there's still a lot of $$$ around but people are stuffing it in their mattresses and spending it cautiously. Builders are scrounging around for work and EC's are dropping their drawers to get jobs.

Don't get me wrong. It isn't great by any means. But anything is better than nothing which pretty much sums up '09.

ItsHot

It is going to be some time for improvement! Until banks start lending money again, things will stay about the same. Gasoline prices are expected to soar well over 3 dollars a gallon by early summer!:mad:

hardworkingstiff

It is going to be some time for improvement! Until banks start lending money again, things will stay about the same. Gasoline prices are expected to soar well over 3 dollars a gallon by early summer!:mad:

IMO, it's not just about the banks. It's about our debt, lack of work ethic, lack of education, lack of manufacturing, lack of living within our means, lack of being competitive in the world (as a group of people that is).

The world very soon will need to learn to live life without an expanding economy. An expanding economy is driven mostly by an expanding population. The world cannot support too many more people, and soon the lack of resources will cause problems (like war, on a global scale).

Now that I put my thoughts in writing, I'm not very comforting.

AV ELECTRIC

The future is bright the new technologies will change are industry and are nation look at what the industrial revolution did for this country it brought us out of the dark ages very quickly . We are going through a communication and information revolution at this time and at the beginning of an energy transformation. I feel in the near future there will not be enough electricians to do all the new work and repair and upgrade the old

Cavie

This mess started in 2006. Two years to sprial down=2008. Two years of staying flat= 2010. Two years of recovery=2012. Residential construction and speculation never to the high levels it was at in 2006.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

What are your sources on that? Who is the reputable media source to report such a prediction? Or do you know some Arabs in the business?

Status
Not open for further replies.