light switch in residential bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As JW said draw a vertical line up from the outer edge of the tub, it can go anywhere past that line.

rosie06

inspector says move it away

inspector says move it away

Interesting , an inspector told me if possable move it further away from the tub can he do that?

jwjrw

Interesting , an inspector told me if possable move it further away from the tub can he do that?

He can do what he wants he is the AHJ!:D
But no it is legal if it dosent break the plane of a shower ,bathtub, or sink.

jwjrw

As JW said draw a vertical line up from the outer edge of the tub, it can go anywhere past that line.

What is the code ref to this and where can I find where it says you are required to have a switch in each room for a light or rec? I cant remember where to find them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Article 404.4 should help but have argued that one many times

404.4 Damp or Wet Locations.
A surface-mounted switch or circuit breaker in a damp or wet location shall be enclosed in a weatherproof enclosure or cabinet that shall comply with 312.2. A flush-mounted switch or circuit breaker in a damp or wet location shall be equipped with a weatherproof cover. Switches shall not be installed within wet locations in tub or shower spaces unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have also used the last sentence in 410.10(D) to define the area.

410.10(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable-, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

jwjrw

I have also used the last sentence in 410.10(D) to define the area.

I saw a MH drawing that showed them right next to the shower and sink and said as long as they didnt break the plane it was legal. How far away do you interpert that art to mean?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I saw a MH drawing that showed them right next to the shower and sink and said as long as they didnt break the plane it was legal. How far away do you interpert that art to mean?
As long as it doesn't break the plane. What difference does inches make. The idea is not the worry of someone using the switch while in the shower but rather to keep it protected from moisture.

If the switch was a foot away one could still reach out and use it.

jwjrw

As long as it doesn't break the plane. What difference does inches make. The idea is not the worry of someone using the switch while in the shower but rather to keep it protected from moisture.

If the switch was a foot away one could still reach out and use it.

What I was asking was the Art you highlighted mentioned the shower area and the 8ft height. I didnt know if you meant it was ok or not sorry.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What I was asking was the Art you highlighted mentioned the shower area and the 8ft height. I didnt know if you meant it was ok or not sorry.

I believe it is fine as long as the plane of the shower isn't broken. In other words, I agree with Mike's graphic.

After 8' makes no sense since that really doesn't pertain to where a switch would be-- at least I hope not. :grin:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What is the code ref to this and where can I find where it says you are required to have a switch in each room for a light or rec? I cant remember where to find them.

You need a switch controlled lighting outlet. The switch is not required to be in the room.`

jwjrw

You need a switch controlled lighting outlet. The switch is not required to be in the room.`

Good point. I knew every room required a switch and lighting outlet but did not realize the switch did not have to be in the room.

rosie06

Thanks for the info ,I spoke with the inspector and he was concerned that the switch could be reached while standing in the tub

Status
Not open for further replies.