Phase tape Mc/Ac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not found it, and I believe this guy is wrong, He claims you cannot phase tape mc cable?? I thought you could since it is cabe, and you can even phase tape the white wire black because its in a cable. He cannot show me the violation. So am I correct that you can phase tape mc?? basically make tape black wire with red tape if you want to??

raider1

Staff member
You are permitted to phase tape MC or AC cable conductors.

You can re identify any size black conductor as a ungrounded conductor. For example you can tape a black wire in an MC cable red or blue.

200.6 and 200.7 deal with identifying grounded conductors and 250.119 deals with identifying equipment grounding conductors.

Chris

Jim W in Tampa

I have not found it, and I believe this guy is wrong, He claims you cannot phase tape mc cable?? I thought you could since it is cabe, and you can even phase tape the white wire black because its in a cable. He cannot show me the violation. So am I correct that you can phase tape mc?? basically make tape black wire with red tape if you want to??

On any job you will find fellow workers that think they know the codes. Some do and some don't. You need to quickly sort out the 2 types as to who to trust. Often it is how and who they learned from. NEC as you know allows this in cables. Help him out by showing him the code.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Barring any manufacturers instructions, there is nothing in the NEC that forbids. I wonder why the manufacturer of this cable does not allow it. ??
Maybe, because the exterior of their cable is colored coded to correspond to the inside conductors.

btharmy

I personally phase my 12-2 MC cable simply because it is not feasible to carry one 250ft roll of every color. ie brown, orange, yellow, black, red, blue. Dont even get me started on 12-3 and 12-4 of each.

Status
Not open for further replies.