Parallel Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electbob

What size of Parallel conductors would I need for 800 amp service if it was installed in single conduit? Size of conduit? (single phase and 3 phase)

iwire

Staff member
What size of Parallel conductors would I need for 800 amp service if it was installed in single conduit? Size of conduit? (single phase and 3 phase)

1) What type of insulation?

2) wet or dry location?

3) Copper or AL

4) What is the calculated load?

5) What is it supplying?

6) Do you need a full 800 amps?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome to the Forum...
Often it is more productive if you provide us with your input rather than us simply "doing the math". What size would you think.

Note: Off the top of my head, i think the answer will change depending on details as to the type load, so you might provide us with that info.

(Note was posted after Bob clarified)

Last edited:

Electbob

It was question on exam, copper , THW or TW was only info they gave and I got a little confused, when I was looking at derating rule. I come up with the answer of 600 MCM and 6 inch after derating. ???

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Neither TW, a 60? wire, or THW, a 75? wire, when derated for 4-6 conductors in a conduit would work on an 800 amp service.
A 90? cable, such as THHN, might work under some conditions...again as Bob states, more specifics would be needed.

zog

Welcome to the Forum...
Often it is more productive if you provide us with your input rather than us simply "doing the math". What size would you think.

Nice Augie, this should be a sticky. The general rule here seems to be "No homework or exam questions" but this is a great learning tool and this is a much better "policy". Maybe this concept could be used to create a homework forum, that way people who don't mind helping someone work throuhgh a problem can go there and those who don't, won't?

Electbob

Sorry, I'm new on forum and didn't know about "exam" questions. I didn't think they would work. 600 MCM was the largest multiple choice question and after I derated, I found it not to work and just answered with the largest. It bothered me, and that is why I had to find out the answer. My problem might be that I misunderstood about the conduit. Derating might not be necessary if in 2 conduits, but I thought by the way it was worded, that it meant a single conduit.

zog

Sorry, I'm new on forum and didn't know about "exam" questions. I didn't think they would work. 600 MCM was the largest multiple choice question and after I derated, I found it not to work and just answered with the largest. It bothered me, and that is why I had to find out the answer. My problem might be that I misunderstood about the conduit. Derating might not be necessary if in 2 conduits, but I thought by the way it was worded, that it meant a single conduit.

No need to apologize, welcome to the forum, stick around you will learn somehing everyday here.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It said parallel conductors in a single conduit. Why did you assume that they only meant two sets?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
strange question using TW and THW. We don't see much of that.
600 TW or THW in separate conduits would work in most 800 amp scenerios...but without the calculated load one can't say. Both cables would take you above 700 amps (the next lowest size). Unfortunately 500 kcmil THW might also work in some cases, so again, the devil is in the details.
As Zog suggest, there is much be be learned here at the Forum, so stay with us and continue to post.

Last edited:

Electbob

In answer to Rob's question, it didn't say how many conduits'. after it asked what size wire. the next question was what size conduit. I took it as one conduit. However, you could assume it was two conduits. ergo, the dilemma. two conduits , no need to derate, one conduit you would and then the wire size would be inadequate. It was a poorly worded question as far as I am concerned, and this was on a masters'.

Status
Not open for further replies.