Number of strands #12 awg cu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EEC

In table 8 NEC, under column for stranding, 7 is listed for 12 awg. What does that 7 represent? I counted the number of conductor strands for thhn 12 awg and came up with 19 strands. Each strand measured .018 in. diameter

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I guess it would depend on the size of each individual strand. I always thought that the 7 strands meant 7 strands--- obviously not all the time. :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Well, you know the NEC is just the minimum necessary for safety, and the manufacturers are free to exceed the minimums. :grin:

Or, you can look at note 1 to that table, in which they concede that other stranding possibilities are available. I think the 7 just means that if you have one with 7 strands, the rest of the properties will be as shown.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
this shows my age, but I seem to rcall back in the RHW, TW and THW days, those #12 cables had 7 strands.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
this shows my age, but I seem to rcall back in the RHW, TW and THW days, those #12 cables had 7 strands.

I too will show my age and say I have pulled a few thousand feet of THW. Thhn was around I think, not sure....

wireguru

7 strands in #12 is class B stranding and is still found in Tray Cable and some other odd places (some RHHW I believe) you can get #12 all the way into 104 strands of #30 (UL1015/TEW/MTW) and beyond...

Status
Not open for further replies.