30A & 20A receptacle question

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been so long since I've seen a 5-30R or a 6-30R..... Do they have the same dimensions as a 5-20R or 6-20R or are they pretty much the same bulky type of receptacle that a 14-30 or 10-30 is?

I guess my main question is.... Can I plug a vacuum cleaner into a NEMA 5-30R?

Thanks!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If it has a 5-30 Plug (Never saw one that did, but I don't get to the City much:))

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have a NEMA chart on the wall of my cubicle. I don't now how to post it. But looking at the 5-30R, you could not plug a standard 120 volt vacuum cleaner into one. The standard receptacle has two flat, parallel slots, plus the ground pin. The 5-30R has a flat slot and an L-shaped slot, plus the ground pin.

I have some NEMA charts as well but they don't have dimensions on them so it's really hard to tell how big a 5-30R is without physically looking at one. Even a picture is deceptive.

So... I'm going to stick with my original assumption and say that a 5-30R is just as bulky as a 10-30R?, and if you wanted to plug in a vacuum cleaner into a 5-30R, then you would have to snip the manufactured plug of the vacuum cleaner and rewire it with a 5-30P?

Thanks guys.

480sparky

With some receps, a NEMA plug manufactured by one company is not the same size and the same NEMA plug manufactured by someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.