Residential outdoor receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1971

Has anyone heard about placement of outdoor receptacles on a residential single family home in regards to being to close to a gas meter? I'm going to install one near the front door and the inspector told me I need to be 3' or more away from the gas meter?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Has anyone heard about placement of outdoor receptacles on a residential single family home in regards to being to close to a gas meter? I'm going to install one near the front door and the inspector told me I need to be 3' or more away from the gas meter?

I have never heard that but it makes sense since they don't allow the electric meter within 3' of the gas meter. This would be in the building code not the NEC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Could also be part of the utility company spec. As Dennis said, we've had the POCO require electric meters to be 3' from the gas meter.

iwire

Staff member
There are mechanical codes that require the vent of a gas regulator to be 3' from a 'source of ignition'. It seems many people consider anything electrical to be a source of ignition.

chris1971

Spoke with electrical inspector and it is a Gas utility rule. 3' or more away from gas meter for an outdoor receptacle. They consider it a source of ignition.

Status
Not open for further replies.