AFCI in bedroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrics

as a person trying to understand nec i cant see why AFCI is installed at bedrooms, why is it so? what special case presents bedrooms?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
as a person trying to understand nec i cant see why AFCI is installed at bedrooms, why is it so? what special case presents bedrooms?
Well the nec now requires AFCI almost everywhere. I believe the reason they required it in bedrooms first is because people sleep there and usually have many apparatus' plugged in. It would provide some protection, in case of an emergency, for those that are asleep.

Just a guess.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I envision a table lamp plugged into a receptacle behind the bed or behind the night stand, getting frayed because the bed or night stand rubs against the wire.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
THe interesting thing was that it originally was only required for bedroom recepts. I had seen many adds for the devices showing nails through the wires in the wall. I spoke at that time with the AHJ and we thought what a crock because what if the wire that was pierced was for the kitchen. How would that protect the person sleeping. Would he have to demand that all wires not AFCI protected be routed around a bedroom and how far away. Should those other wires be protected in some fire rated barrier. What was the NEC thinking. Now that most circuits must be protected It is really making sense. I just hope that the breakers hold up. It is really getting expensive for each circuit these days.

jwjrw

Not only that, it was cords and outlet strips that were the concern, not premises wiring.

I heard that also. But you know they could of developed arc fault cords like they did with gfi cords and left us the heck alone!:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.