Blackberry 8350i

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwjrw

Who has a blackberry 8350i? Likes and dislikes and outright complaints.
Wireless card for your laptop a better deal? Does it make your job easier then a regular nextel?

jwjrw

Call me cheap but I get by just fine on a cell phone and free WiFi on a mobile lap-top.

Im thinking of getting a broadband card and dropping home internet. Same price here but wouldnt need a wifi spot.

At same time blackberry could work on jobs...
Just asking for people who have either what you like or dont like with them.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i have a BB 9630; its okay. I thought my curve was a better phone. The 9630 hangs for a few seconds when launching programs or switching between them. I have two 9630's and they both do it. all my family and most of my friends and colleagues use blackberry, and we use the blackberry messenger to communicate. that's a plus.

The BB is pretty quick on the net, but when tethering its not quite as fast. I can get about 500Kbps when tethering; droid in the same location can get about 2.5Mbps. I tried the droid but didn't like it. I prefer the keyboard on the BB; the motorola droid has a keyboard but its just too big. The htc droid is touchscreen only and I will not purchase a touchscreen phone.

Also I'm just used to the BB.

For tethering I recommend a program called 'tether'. I tried different programs; 'tether' is the best.

I would check usage habits before dropping home internet for a wireless card. While the BB internet plan is unlimited, they can still throttle you is your usage is abnormally high. 5GB is the limit on the wireless card; tethering the BB w/ 3rd party software gets you around this but I'm told they'll still look into slowing you down if you cross this threshold on a blackberry.

We use about 30-40GB per month at home (netflix streaming, hulu, WMC internet TV, etc. . )

marti smith

Likes: can have it on my belt, can't do that with a laptop. However, dislikes are that the keyboard is small and is a no-go for the larger hands.

jwjrw

:D
Likes: can have it on my belt, can't do that with a laptop. However, dislikes are that the keyboard is small and is a no-go for the larger hands.

Can I really trust someone from ROSWELL NM?:D
You dont have large ALIEN hands do ya?:D
Thank you for you input.

Ohmy

I've used a blackberry for years. There is no way around it. I've got to be able to respond to email immediately. If you are in the field working, I recommend a blackberry and a cheap one at that. I have a blackberry 8300 that has lasted three years of torture and now my 1 year old uses it as a toy. I turned it on yesterday and it worked fine. You can get a blackberry 8300C for fifty bucks online and pop in your sim card.

I want to get an Iphone or druid but I am worried about it holding up. I am in the office full time now but am still pretty hard on my phones. It seems that iphones break really easily.

Anybody with a druid have a comment on durability?

jwjrw

I've used a blackberry for years. There is no way around it. I've got to be able to respond to email immediately. If you are in the field working, I recommend a blackberry and a cheap one at that. I have a blackberry 8300 that has lasted three years of torture and now my 1 year old uses it as a toy. I turned it on yesterday and it worked fine. You can get a blackberry 8300C for fifty bucks online and pop in your sim card.

I want to get an Iphone or druid but I am worried about it holding up. I am in the office full time now but am still pretty hard on my phones. It seems that iphones break really easily.

Anybody with a druid have a comment on durability?

I went thru 4 phones last year and the 5th got ran over last week (but still works) and im trying to decide what to do.

hunt4679

If you like the touch screen the storm 2 is great turn it sideways and have a full keyboard. I have had it for over 2 months now and no complaints and it has WIFI

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I've used a blackberry for years. There is no way around it. I've got to be able to respond to email immediately.

that's the best feature of BB and a point i forgot to mention.

to the OP, if you get a BB and have your own e-mail server, make sure to get the $45/mo web & e-mail package. The $30/mo plan only allows webmail services like hotmail, yahoo, etc. . .

zog

that's the best feature of BB and a point i forgot to mention.

to the OP, if you get a BB and have your own e-mail server, make sure to get the $45/mo web & e-mail package. The $30/mo plan only allows webmail services like hotmail, yahoo, etc. . .

Actually thats the problem with BB, you need a dedicated BB server, ours has become too expensive to maintain. New smartphones like the droid use "push" technology for thier email, meaning I can use my company email server via any other webmail. It is as good as it gets for email. We are getting rid of all BB's in our company, a few years ago BB was the best, not anymore.

Ohmy

Actually thats the problem with BB, you need a dedicated BB server, ours has become too expensive to maintain. New smartphones like the droid use "push" technology for thier email, meaning I can use my company email server via any other webmail. It is as good as it gets for email. We are getting rid of all BB's in our company, a few years ago BB was the best, not anymore.

You need a server with BB? I push to my BB instantaneously with yahoo pop3 which is like $30 a year. Its linked with our exchange server so I get email at the desk, phone, and any computer in the world at the same time. My emails are saved on all three places in case there is a problem and I can respond from any of them.

We use hostway. Its $360 a year and does all our networking (including email).

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Actually thats the problem with BB, you need a dedicated BB server, ours has become too expensive to maintain.

You don't need your own server (i mean physically at your location). That's only if your IT dept wants complete control over every aspect of the blackberry.

My e-mail is pushed to my phone and goes through the BES in canada.

ItsHot

I know a couple that each purchased Blackberry phones, their biggest complaint was the touch screen, said it was like a keypad, you had to jab at it! Kind of defeats the purpose of a touch screen!!

zog

You need a server with BB? I push to my BB instantaneously with yahoo pop3 which is like $30 a year. Its linked with our exchange server so I get email at the desk, phone, and any computer in the world at the same time. My emails are saved on all three places in case there is a problem and I can respond from any of them.

We use hostway. Its $360 a year and does all our networking (including email).

Thats the same setup we have but we don't use a service like hostway, too big so we have our own. With the Droid you don't need a service like hostway or a dedicated server. It is all internal to the phone.

I don't 100% understand the networking, all I know is we are switching from BB's for that reason, and the enhanced features of a iphone/droid over a BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.