277v Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mollie06

Per the NEC are 277v lighting fixtures (excuse me - luminaries) allowed to be installed in hospital patient rooms or do the voltage restrictions of article 210.6 apply?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Per the NEC are 277v lighting fixtures (excuse me - luminaries) allowed to be installed in hospital patient rooms or do the voltage restrictions of article 210.6 apply?
What restrictions are you talking about in 210.6? There is nothing there restricting 277 volts in patient care now I am not certain, nor have I checked, if art. 517 applies

Mollie06

What restrictions are you talking about in 210.6? There is nothing there restricting 277 volts in patient care now I am not certain, nor have I checked, if art. 517 applies

210.6 (A) lists a group of occupancies ending with the term ?similar occupancies? to which 120v restrictions are applied to ?(1) Luminaries?.

The 2008 Handbook explains that ?similar occupancies? as follows:

?The term similar occupancies in 210.6(A) refers to sleeping rooms in dormitories, fraternities, sororities, nursing homes and other similar facilities.?

I have had an electrical engineer tell me this applies to hospital patient rooms hence the question. I could find nothing in 517 that referenced the requirement.

jwjrw

I dont see that 210.6(a) has anything to do with hospitals healthcare etc.
Hotels etc yes not healthcare.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I guess it would depend on what luminaire...
It's unavoidable, but terminology such as "similar occupancies" sure make the Code fun.
If you look at additional Handbook wording in that section, "This requirement is intended to reduce the exposure of residents in dwellings and similar occupancies to electric shock hazards when using or servicing permanently installed luminaires and cord-and-plug-connected portable lamps and appliances.
It's a bit difficult to see a hospital patient changing the lamps in his overhead troffer :)
as always, a judgment call but I don't see your AHJ taking that stand.

In addition, it says "terminals" and the voltage on fluorescent, if thats the luminaire in question, terminals would be the same with 277 as it would be 120.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The 2008 Handbook explains that “similar occupancies” as follows:
“The term similar occupancies in 210.6(A) refers to sleeping rooms in dormitories, fraternities, sororities, nursing homes and other similar facilities.”

I can see where the handbook can make that jump from hotel and motels to nursing homes etc. but health care facilities. I would think if that were a requirement then it would be in art. 517. Apparently it is not so..... it is always the ahj call- I just don't see it.

I can see where the handbook can make that jump from hotel and motels to nursing homes etc. but health care facilities. I would think if that were a requirement then it would be in art. 517. Apparently it is not so..... it is always the ahj call- I just don't see it.

The way In understood that there are general sections of the code that always apply and there are special service requirements that are described in various areas of the Code such as the 500 series that provide ADDITIONAL requirements to the requirements described in the general sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.