Jobsite made extension cords

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmhead

Well average florida wage j- man in field top hands on 25 hourly leadman / foremen 25 - 35 and then after that its who or what you can do or how long you have been with the company .

Florida is the lowest pay in the nation

elohr46

Well cutting cords has been going on for many years now and its a common practice on all our jobs in fact if the safety man sees a cord with out a ground or a cut or damaged cord he rolls it up and takes it.

You can not make your own cord on job but you can repair it with cap or plug.

If you think your job is bad heres what we go thur each day .

Hard hat during lunch .

work gloves all day .

Ear plugs wore around neck all day cant put them on hard hat its unsafe .

Full safety glass all day.

We have to have a voltage sensor on us even during underground work power is not on yet go figure .

long pants work shoes 4 inch sleeves not to bad but we must were a safety vest in the building go figure .

Back to cords all our tools with cords and ext cords must be hot checked each day and each 3rd month we change the colored tape on cords and electric tool cords to a color like black red blue green if its not done we get a safety violation .

They ground portable generators on site if used meaning small type 1kw .

All temp panels must have a GFI sign off each week signed on the cover .

All temp outlets are for cord & plug meaning IN - USE covers not just weather proof but a cover over plug and cord these break everyday we replace on our site .

We cant use your standard lite bulbs & cages safety string with romex its unsafe go figure so we hang flor tubes with weather covers during construction must be tied with no 10 wire only .

No splice in temp power like romex tap or splice hanging down must be in a box above 8 foot with cover .

No ext cords on the deck you must hang it above so no one can trip or roll equipment over ext cord .

When climbing a ladder you can not carry a tool up like a drill you must use both hands on ladder climbing up its unsafe so when you get to the top your helper must tie tool to the rope you pass to him to get your drill or tool !

?

Tie off above 6 foot .

Then the best part each monday we have a safety meeting and we go over this in english and spanish for 45 minutes whole job present .

Then our company has there req safety meeting for 30 minutes and they want to know what takes us so long to get our jobs done .

This has been the norm on most large projects in my area probably for the last 20 years or so, we are also required to have urine analysis taken before employment and if it is a school project you will need to have a criminal background check done as well.

ohmhead

This has been the norm on most large projects in my area probably for the last 20 years or so, we are also required to have urine analysis taken before employment and if it is a school project you will need to have a criminal background check done as well.

Well yes i didnt even get to that part the job iam on now you get a pee test background check and on this project we had INS come out and each worker had to prove they were american citizens this is not a joke we ware a badge with picture and code number and its scanned to enter site which must be on you at all times . lots of fun

480sparky

Im thinking because the completed cord would not be a UL listed assembly is the reason. Even though the individual components where. Im glad I dont live where inpectors enforce this level of nonsense.

So what about using UL-listed wire, conduit, boxes, fitting, devices, breakers and panels and wiring a building? Is the finished electrical wiring not a UL-listed assembly?

480sparky

Do you normally have inspections of the cords you make?

Yes.
HoltBlueDot.jpg

brian john

Im thinking because the completed cord would not be a UL listed assembly is the reason. Even though the individual components where. Im glad I dont live where inpectors enforce this level of nonsense.

Yeah, you/we can wire a 30 story building with 13.2 distribution, 5-4000 amp services but you/we are not qualified to make up a 50' extension cord?

wireguru

OSHA allows jobsite assembled cords.

OSHA allows cords with an 'outlet box' on the end, but you have to use the correct box.

Putting a box made to be attached to a structure on the end of a cord is not ok. If I took a cord pendant box and ran a piece of romex into it and screwed it to the wall in my kitchen that wouldnt be ok either.

wireguru

Yeah, you/we can wire a 30 story building with 13.2 distribution, 5-4000 amp services but you/we are not qualified to make up a 50' extension cord?

youre obviously not if you think its ok to put a 4S box and rs cover on the end of a cord :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.