Exhaust fan venting for builders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

Do you figure in your price exhaust fan venting ? If so based on a print of an addition how much do you charge .I always put venting by other but I am trying to be friendlier.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If there is an HVAC contractor involved with the project I would let them do it. If not we have installed them in the past. In some places EC's cannot install them.

Volta

I usually write it as vent by others if other trades are to be on site. Then for smaller projects I offer an alternate to install it. If just EC (us) on site, then it is included.

I have heard of some areas requiring HVAC cert to run the 4", but haven't run into it.

If a large project, it is likely already in the scope of the HVAC contractor.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
How can you have a single value for venting? How long is the run? Can you run it along the bay between joists? Do you have attic space? Will it vent through the wall or through the roof?

Personally if I have to vent it, I try to figure out how long it will take me and estimate using my hourly rate plus whatever the materials will be.

mkgrady

I try to leave it to the GC to vent the fan on a remodel job. Some runs are really labor intensive and you often can't even tell how to do it untill all new framing is complete. Many times the GC will create a chase just to run the vent hose and when that happens I'm glad I don't have to even think about it.

kwired

Electron manager
How so?...............

if you spend extra money for a "quiet fan" you need to spend extra money on ducting also or it will not necessarily be quiet. minimal length and minimal elbows no flex duct larger size duct if will all make the fan quieter. The less resistance to air flow the quieter the fan will be.

I can never get anyone else to install a duct to these standards they think it is a waste of time and money. but it does work. Quiet fans make happy customers.

kwired

Electron manager
I have also seen flex duct draped over joists and fill up with condensation - completely filled blocking off all air flow rendering the fan totally useless.

laketime

In my area you need an HVAC contractors license to run the duct, unless you are not having it inspected.

MikeS

quiet fans

quiet fans

i Quiet fans make happy customers.

I've actually had two customers complain about the quiet fans. They were too quiet and therefore didn't ***ahem**** mask ***uh*** certain noises....:roll:

Back to OP, like others, if there's HVAC on the job it's their baby otherwise I'll do it & price depends on how nightmarish the run is (tight attic, blown insul or rockwool etc.) 99% of what I do is residential remodel.

N844AA

My estimates say "does not include ducting". On a couple of occasions I've done it, nothing fancy, just ran some 3" flexiduct to an eve vent. $10 Parts, $20 for the labor.

Around here, the general contractor usually does the duct on residential jobs, on commercial, it's the HVAC guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.