Arc-Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwjrw

I think there is a good chance the instructions say that, of course they probably say that for counter top models as well.

There is also an odd new section of code that I believe requires a dedicated 20 amp circuit for a cord and plug connected hood fan unit above a range. (Sorry, My 2008 is at the office)

I do remember seeing that but I thought it was for micro hood combos not just a hood fan. All I see in 422.16(b)(4)(5) is that it must be dedicated not a 20 amp. And that is for range hoods not combos.

iwire

Staff member
I do remember seeing that but I thought it was for micro hood combos not just a hood fan. All I see in 422.16(b)(4)(5) is that it must be dedicated not a 20 amp. And that is for range hoods not combos.

Thats the one, I was going from memory and yes it applies just to cord and plug connected range hoods. :)

Volta

I still want to know where I read if its permanetly attached it must be dedicated.
Thinking it must be installation instructions
210.23(A)(2)? That would limit the permanant micro. to 1200 watts if on SABC.

IMO that would apply. It is a range hood.

ty

No kidding, again thanks for the Article 210 primer. :grin:

Now can you show me where the NEC says this? :grin:
You know I have shoveling to do :grin:

How can you Permanently install a microwave above a range and have it meet that Code? The recepatacle for the microwave would be well above the 20inch mark

jwjrw

How can you Permanently install a microwave above a range and have it meet that Code? The recepatacle for the microwave would be well above the 20inch mark

Because you have countertop SA circuits and ADDITIONAL SA circuits permitted.

iwire

Staff member
Reference?

The referance is 422.16(b)(4)(5), it says (if I am not mistaken) 'range hoods' no mention of Microwaves.

How can you claim that a hood mounted above a range is not a range hood?

I am not, UL is.

My own is UL Listed as a 'Over-the-range microwave oven'

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/...n=versionless&parent_id=1073989228&sequence=1

The words in the NEC would be mealiness if anyone could choose to call things what they want and not what the code writers expected.

If they wanted 422.16(b)(4)(5) to apply to over the range microwaves they would have said so. :)

iwire

Staff member

Todd, what does that have to do with shall have a dedicated circuit....?

The NEC does not require a dedicated circuit for over the range microwaves.

jwjrw

But we think some installation instructions do correct? Like a wall heater for a bathroom might.

ty

You are correct.
I was not meaning to imply that it must be a dedicated circuit.

I mainly was responding to this:
One more question regarding SABC. Can I put the microwave/Hood combo receptacle on one of the SABC? Microwave/Hood combos are permanently mounted above a range or cooktop and are cord & plug connected to a receptacle in the upper cabinet. I have always believed this was a violation but 210.52B3 makes me wonder. I guess the disposer/diswasher receptacle would fall in this same category :confused:

I don't think a permanently installed microwave above a range could be wired on either of the 2 SABC feeding the Countertop Receptacles and meet Code.

I believe it could be on an additional SABC.

I do not see where it needs to be a Dedicated circuit per NEC.

480sparky

.............I don't think a permanently installed microwave above a range could be wired on either of the 2 SABC feeding the Countertop Receptacles and meet Code...........

If nothing else, I don't see the cord reaching that far anyway.:cool:

Volta

The referance is 422.16(b)(4)(5), it says (if I am not mistaken) 'range hoods' no mention of Microwaves.
True.

I am not, UL is.

My own is UL Listed as a 'Over-the-range microwave oven'

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/...n=versionless&parent_id=1073989228&sequence=1

The words in the NEC would be mealiness if anyone could choose to call things what they want and not what the code writers expected.

If they wanted 422.16(b)(4)(5) to apply to over the range microwaves they would have said so. :)

From another page ([Heaters and Heating Equipment] Microwave Cooking Appliances) linked to from the page you linked to:
"This category also includes combination microwave oven vent hood fans, and kits for converting counter top units to built-in, under-cabinet, wall-mounted or similar installations."

So UL considers that they are (or can be tested to) "oven vent hood fans". These classifications need not be mutually exclusive. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.