Odd Problem with dedicated receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri_WW

My friend has recently been having trouble with his refrigerator. He has had 3 go bad in the span of a year. I checked the voltage of the receptacle and everything was normal. No major overage/underage or fluctuations. The receptacle itself is in good shape, as is the wiring. Call me crazy, but I think you have better odds at the lottery than having something like this happen.

Could a brief surge take out a fridge? Can transients take out a fridge? If so, how do you detect transients and protect against them or at least find the cause?

Thanks!
Keri :grin::grin:

jwjrw

Wouldnt anything plugged in on that phase have a potential to do the same as the fridge? If its dedicated and is wired properly and the cause was somekind of voltage issue would that not affect everything on that phase?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If it was on a multi-wire branch circuit, and if the neutral wire were not properly connected and worked its way loose, you could get voltage spikes from time to time, and you might measure normal voltage at other times. I would start with looking at the circuit that feeds this receptacle, and see if it shares a neutral with other loads.

Keri_WW

All of the fridges were under warranty. I'm note sure on the specific damage done to each of them; however, they were basically dead (no compressor running, no light on inside, etc.). The problem just needs to be fixed before a new one is brought in.

I mentioned having him call Progress Energy to verify the incoming feeders were secure. I mentioned this from my own experience where my incoming wires were not secure and it caused all sorts of weird issues with my appliances.

Is it common practice to share the neutral for a dedicated circuit?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
No usually a dedicated circuit has it's own branch breaker and nuetral. However ya never know what someone may do.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Measured with nothing plugged in. What would having a load applied helped determine?

Basically if you have a bad connection that is not completely disconnected, then with the extremely slight load of the meter you will see normal full voltage...but as soon as you connect a real load you will see the voltage crash or fluctuate.

-Jon

Keri_WW

Oh ok, that makes sense. When I checked the receptacle everything seemed fine (its the stab in the back kind). Are those types of receptacles likely to go bad? I'm used to the kind that you wrap the wire around the screws on the side...

mivey

In addition to a neutral problem, he may be in an area prone to lightning or other transient sources.

Add: if so, use a surge protection device as a start.

mivey

Oh ok, that makes sense. When I checked the receptacle everything seemed fine (its the stab in the back kind). Are those types of receptacles likely to go bad? I'm used to the kind that you wrap the wire around the screws on the side...
I would think you would see evidence of heating on the receptacle.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Measured with nothing plugged in. What would having a load applied helped determine?
That leads us to "What kind of tester did you use?" and why I prefer a solenoid tester.

You absolutely must test for voltage under load. Even a 100w bulb in a lamp will do.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Is it common practice to share the neutral for a dedicated circuit?
Not only no, but not possible. By definition, if you have shared a neutral, you don't have a dedicated circuit. But do you know for certain whether it is a dedicated circuit, or whether it is part of a MWBC?

Keri_WW

I used a Fluke multimeter. I only know its dedicated because it has its own circuit breaker. As for the wiring underneath the panelboard cover, well, I'll leave that to the pro's. :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Sounds like it is time to leave it to the pros.
Agreed, I think this has crossed the threshold into DIY.

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If anyone disagrees with this action, feel free to PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.