120/208V Residential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yeah, I typed 'not' in my head but it did not reach my fingers.

That is a common occurrence. I find myself doing that often. I only find the problem when I proofread it. Must be some sort of psychological issue.:)

LawnGuyLandSparky

In a high rise I have never seen it any other way then a 3 phase service suppling single phase units.

The areas I was talking about are typically 3.5 story brownstones or similar buildings.

The under ground network is often fed by multiple transformers located underground and spread out, the result is very high fault currents in theses homes.

Virtually all of NYC's residential and commercial distribution (overhead or underground) is the same. 240 is rare.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Frankly, I didn't seem to understand where 208 device couldn't be used as a two pole source were required!.
They certainly can. Wire just as you would a 120/240v service, just know that 240v devices will only receive 208v.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
In my experience 800A is the typical maximum for 120/240V 1PH 3W service drops. One of the larger POCOs, in this area, refers to 120/208 1PH 3W services as 'networks'.

iwire

Staff member
In my experience 800A is the typical maximum for 120/240V 1PH 3W service drops. One of the larger POCOs, in this area, refers to 120/208 1PH 3W services as 'networks'.

Here the cut off seems to be 400 amps for single phase and yes they call those 208Y/120 distribution systems networks here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.