White XHHW #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

conmgt

Hi,
I was getting ready to make multiple pulls of #6 XHHW when it dawned on me that the #6 neutrals might need to be white it's entire legnth. I'm not sure anybody makes XHHW in white. They certainly make copper in white but 1000+ ft of #8 isn't going to be cheap.

Has anyone seen #6 XHHW in white?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You would need to mark it white at its terminations but the size would need to be #4 or larger [200.6]. So you could just use a #4 neutral and identify it white at the terminations [200.6(B)(3)] instead of using copper.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I know Southwire makes #8 and larger XHHW in colors.

Roger

conmgt

Yeh, I thought about that. It isn't much more money but I'm already oversized with #6 so going up to #4 is overkill. I'll have to think about it.

conmgt

I know Southwire makes #8 and larger XHHW in colors.

Roger

I left a message with my supplier. Originally I ordered #4 SimPull THHN in black, red, white just to try it out even though it was oversized but his supplier told him only black and green was available.

kwired

Electron manager
I believe most wire and cable manufacturers will make just about anything you wish but for small jobs you are stuck with what your suppliers decide to stock which is based on the demands of what they sell. using a 8 copper will most likely cost less than getting a 6 alum in white if they dont stock it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I left a message with my supplier. Originally I ordered #4 SimPull THHN in black, red, white just to try it out even though it was oversized but his supplier told him only black and green was available.

We buy white and green # 8 and 6 THWN on a regular basis, so the supplier is wrong, and as far as XHHW, he is wrong according to Southwire

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

If by available he meant that black and green were the only colors that they had then maybe you'll need to look for a larger supplier. Our local supply house has a limited number of colors on hand. (They offer Black and a roll of tape) :roll:

When we need specialized stuff we go to a distributor who only sells wire. Their warehouse is usually stocked with just about everything.

Cavie

Hi,
I was getting ready to make multiple pulls of #6 XHHW when it dawned on me that the #6 neutrals might need to be white it's entire legnth. I'm not sure anybody makes XHHW in white. They certainly make copper in white but 1000+ ft of #8 isn't going to be cheap.

Has anyone seen #6 XHHW in white?

#6 XHHW is very common in roadwy lighting. We by it by the many 1000's of feet. White and green are spec on FDOT roadwork.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It sounds like you guys are saying that the options are XHHW or copper.

Why am I confused? :confused:

If the Al XHHW is only available in Black then you would need to use at least a #4 Black XHHW conductor to re-identify it white.

Status
Not open for further replies.