Single Pole Ground Fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD88

Hello,

I was doing some research on switchboards vs. switchgear, and I came across a discussion about ground faults, and that the MCCBs in switchboards have a very low single-pole ground fault, despite the fact that their short-circuit rating can be similar to that of switchgear. Because of this, switchboards should only be used on solidly grounded systems... I kinda realized that I don't really understand ground faults, and I definitely don't see how a single pole fault would affect an ungrounded or resistance-grounded system differently than a solidly grounded. Does anyone know of a very basic and practical explanation of what happens in a ground fault, with the various configurations? Thanks!!

Here's a link to the original document - see the section near the bottom of page 2
http://www.geindustrial.com/Newsletter/ind_nov01_left3.pdf

mivey

Hello,

I was doing some research on switchboards vs. switchgear, and I came across a discussion about ground faults, and that the MCCBs in switchboards have a very low single-pole ground fault, despite the fact that their short-circuit rating can be similar to that of switchgear. Because of this, switchboards should only be used on solidly grounded systems... I kinda realized that I don't really understand ground faults, and I definitely don't see how a single pole fault would affect an ungrounded or resistance-grounded system differently than a solidly grounded. Does anyone know of a very basic and practical explanation of what happens in a ground fault, with the various configurations? Thanks!!

Here's a link to the original document - see the section near the bottom of page 2
http://www.geindustrial.com/Newsletter/ind_nov01_left3.pdf
The diagram at the end explains what they are saying. For an ungrounded system, one breaker (one pole) will have to interrupt a line-line fault which can be close to a 3-phase bolted fault value. The current flows line-line.

For a system with a neutral, the current flows line to ground and the one pole will interrupt line-ground current. In the grounded neutral case, a double-line to ground will be interrupted by two breakers (two poles).

MD88

Hmm.. I'm not really understanding how, in the 2 fault scenario, having a solidly ground neutral would a) make the fault current going through the first pole any less and b) trip the second pole.

mivey

Hmm.. I'm not really understanding how, in the 2 fault scenario, having a solidly ground neutral would a) make the fault current going through the first pole any less and b) trip the second pole.
The impedance is less for a line to line fault so you have more fault current.

Think of the tripping like this:
In the first case, only the fact that the second line went to ground (i.e. was connected to the other line) made a fault condition. When any one breaker clears, the fault is over.

In the second case, either line contacting the grounded neutral creates a fault and both breakers will have to clear for all fault current to stop.

rcwilson

Solidly grounded, the breaker pole only has to open an arc across phase-ground voltage. Two poles in series will interrupt phase-phase faults.

On an ungrounded system the single pole could have the full phase-phase voltage impressed across its contacts, making arc interruption more difficult. Some MCCB's are rated for this and some are not.

If it says 480/277V it's not.

(Shoot me down if I have it incorrect.)

Status
Not open for further replies.