Please help! Couplings in a service mast

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

If you're looking at the NEC, you're looking at the wrong place.

The mast is ruled by the local PoCo rules, which tend to be more detailed than the NEC. For example, the PoCo in Reno is most specific: no couplings in the service mast.

Now, this could, in theory, lead to an interesting problem with a higher mast. I've never seen RMC in 20' lengths, so if I needed some, I'd consider using similar Schedule 40 galvanized pipe. Would the AHJ accept that - or let me use a coupling (local rules limit me to 30" unsupported anyway)? Only the AHJ can answer that one.

dken31

I haven't seen any mention at all in this thread about an approved/listed guy wire kit. Does anyone know of a manufacturer of such a kit? I would love a part# just for future reference All I can come up with is a T&B (Canada) number (cat# MM914). My local supply house said "good luck", I had him check the number and it's almost like it doesnt exist in the states...

Last edited:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
They made me move my first strap up above the coupling on this 14' riser (to clear an alleyway)

It was of course strapped toward the top and backbraced as well.

No straps below a coupling is their rule :-? so I had to remove a perfectly good strap and install another one a few inches up. That kind of stupidity kills me.

That put it over the 3' mark but the city had already passed it so.....

DSC01934.jpg
That is crazy. I assume you already had a strap near the service head? Above or below your coupling should make no difference. But POCO's can be pretty dumb. I've put up 3 small 100 A service poles at church playgrounds. 1st one, I set up with strut and left a 2"strap for POCO to use when they brought in power. They used a 2" conduit, brought it up crooked to meter and left the strap sitting where I left it. Next 2, I put a conduit down and strapped it. I MARKED it for them, that it was for them. They tie wrapped a flex to my conduit both times and used the flex.

mxslick

If you're looking at the NEC, you're looking at the wrong place.

The mast is ruled by the local PoCo rules, which tend to be more detailed than the NEC. For example, the PoCo in Reno is most specific: no couplings in the service mast.

Now, this could, in theory, lead to an interesting problem with a higher mast. I've never seen RMC in 20' lengths, so if I needed some, I'd consider using similar Schedule 40 galvanized pipe. Would the AHJ accept that - or let me use a coupling (local rules limit me to 30" unsupported anyway)? Only the AHJ can answer that one.

Reno, even if your AHJ allowed a coupling you POCO holds the trump card and wouldn't connect.

Our POCO here has the no-coupling rule as well, but way back in the late 80's -early 90's would attach a resi service drop to a PVC (!) riser!! (I found that little gem out when I had changed the service on my house and the line crew wondered why I used rigid metal when "everyone else" was using PVC. )

One-eyed Jack

Reno, even if your AHJ allowed a coupling you POCO holds the trump card and wouldn't connect.

Our POCO here has the no-coupling rule as well, but way back in the late 80's -early 90's would attach a resi service drop to a PVC (!) riser!! (I found that little gem out when I had changed the service on my house and the line crew wondered why I used rigid metal when "everyone else" was using PVC. )

Did you by chance see one of these after that fact? One day in the sun it would have a 90 degree bend in it.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The Dekald County, Ga. Inspection division is failing one of our jobs because my guy used a coupling in the service mast above the roofline.
While it is not the greatest looking way to do it, I can find nothing in the code or in the local knowledge that says I can't have it.
Anyon ever heard of this? Can you tell me an article and section, cause the Dekalb Co. Inspector can't.

Doesn't matter if he finds a code or not;

Neither GA Power or REA is going to connect that service for you w/ a coupling near the top.

If the mast is over 10', they want the top to be a full 10' stalk of conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.