Question on a Frank Electrical Co Panel Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Riley

Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong forum but I have a question that is bothering me and don't know where else to ask. I am not in the electrical field so please bear with me if my terminology is incorrect. I have a marble "panel box" manufactured by Frank Electrical Co. and was hoping someone could provide me a little history on it. I worked for a company that upgraded the electrical in a city building in Lynchburg, Va. 20 some years ago and this was one of the items they removed. It was going to be trashed so I took it home thinking it was an interesting conversation piece. I have searched the internet but can find very little information on the company that made this. If anyone has any information on the company or perhaps the age of this item I would appreciate it. Again, sorry if this is not the appropriate place for this post, this was one of the few sites that actually mentions Frank Electrical Co so I thought someone could help.

Here is a picture of the item in question:
IMG_2899-1.jpg

raider1

Staff member
I have discussed this thread with the other Moderators and have decided that as long as the OPer does not ask DIY questions or try to sell electrical equipment on this forum we would allow them to ask questions about this panel.

Chris

James Riley

Chris and other Moderators - Thanks for letting this be posted. I know you probably get all types of posters here with ulterior motives but I really just want to satisfy my curiosity, no DIY or selling I promise!

Rob - Here is a closer pic of the nameplate. Sorry for the quality, I just realized it's a little fuzzy around the edges. If you would like to see any other parts close up please just let me know and I will be glad to take them.
IMG_2900.jpg

Todd - Thanks for the link, very interesting reading.

James Riley

It is in very good condition and is an excellent conversation piece, there was at least one more that was taken out of the same building but it was heavily damaged and couldn't be salvaged. On the inside of one of the marble slabs is handwritten calligraphy, I can't remember what it actually said I'll have to pull it apart to see but I'm sure there was no date.

How old would something like this be? See, I have no frame of reference not having an electrical background. I have seen pics of metal boxes being used in the 1950's so I assume it would be earlier than that. The building this came out of was built in 1855, since Frank Electric Co was established in 1891it would obviously be after that year. Zinsmeyer Co bought out the West Coat branch in the 1920's but when did Frank Electric Co in St Louis go out of business or get sold? I have seen some references to the company in the 1950's but couldn't find much information.

Thanks for indulging me, I realize the members of this forum come here to share and get advise on their trade and this doesn't actually seem to fit in with the purpose of this board. I had the panel displayed at my house for many years but it had been in storage for the last several after I moved. I just recently pulled it back out to display and the old nagging questions of how old it was, who made it, and how it was used started bothering me again.

Status
Not open for further replies.