phone block question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lang

I'm on a job now where I got tricked into connecting new phone lines for new office space. The existing office space is running off of an Optimum phone system which I'm not familiar with. There is a large phone distribution block on the wall with the lines from all of the desks punching down at the back. At the front there are jumpers punched down and running over to the usual 110 block listing all of the phone numbers.

I know there is some sort of phone system from Optimum that allows all of the phones to access several lines and voicemail and so on. My question is there are about 7-8 lines total from Optimum and about 30 desks and 15 new desks. Which line do I jump off of to access the phone system? At the most each desk can only hardwire to 3 or 4 lines. So I know they don't connect to all of these.

I'm used to terminating the wires on a block and the phone company takes it from there. Does anyone have any experience with these phone systems?

tpepperl

Just Say NO!!!
If you don't know the system do not touch it! Could wind up costing LOTS!!! $$$

Back out of the deal or do a change order to allow you to haire a subcontractor that has experiance with that system..

Just a thought...

wireguru

I agree, dont touch it, especially considering a couple statements you made (i dont mean any offense).

Out of curiosity, ive never heard of (and cant find anything on) a pbx / phone system called optimum. Are you sure the box you see called Optimum isnt the CPE from optimum online (cablevision)? Does your customer get their phone lines from them? Do they have a VoIP PBX service from them? Is there another phone system cabinet somewhere?

wireguru

Optimum is telephone from a cable modem.

sort of.
Optimum Online is the data service side of cablevision. They provide various voice and data services (such as internet, private circuit, VoIP, VoIP pbx,telephone lines). Depending on what services you purchase, and avaialble facilities, they will deliver service over coax or fiber.

Mike Lang

I figured it out. The system was from Optimum although it was not a VoIP that I was familiar with. I have experience on the older PBX systems like the Nortel Meridian option 11C. I haven't seen or worked on one since I was in school so I was a little rusty. Each desk has one line accessing the v mail and other options. I guess it's a PBX as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I'm in the phone business and in Cablevision territory not far from you in NY. I have never seen anything that resembles a system provided by Cablevision and I would certainly like to know about it. Lets assume that what you say is true and this truly is supplied by Cablevision, they are the ones that are supposed to maintain it. It would be under some kind of contract. So, I'm in agreement with everybody else here who says you are in over your head and I'll add that you shouldn't be touching it even if you knew what you were doing. Tell your customer to call Cablevision, it's not your job.

-Hal

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
From what I gather what you are seeing is not a phone system at all but a cable modem made by Arris that will handle 12 lines. Does it have a cable "F" connector on one side and an Amphenol 25 pair connector on the other with a cable going to a punch down block? If so those are just everyday single line phones also. Voice mail would be provided for each line by the cable company.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.