TV cord fished through wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nium

Got a call today that had me chuckling. Customer didn't like seeing the cords from the TV, Wii, and various other electrical equipment entertainment stuff. Her solution was to have me fish the wires through the wall to right next to the receptacle so that she wouldn't have to see them through the entertainment center. I politely tried to explain to her that well you can't fish appliance cords through walls. She wanted to know why she'd seen it done with flat screen TV's. I dunno, Hack-it-Up Handy. She felt that a new outlet directly behind the TV wouldn't cure the atrocity of the visible cords so I regretfully, LOL, let her know there wasn't much I could do and thanks for calling.

I was going off 400.8(2) or (5) that appliance cords in walls are a no no.

Got a call today that had me chuckling. Customer didn't like seeing the cords from the TV, Wii, and various other electrical equipment entertainment stuff. Her solution was to have me fish the wires through the wall to right next to the receptacle so that she wouldn't have to see them through the entertainment center. I politely tried to explain to her that well you can't fish appliance cords through walls. She wanted to know why she'd seen it done with flat screen TV's. I dunno, Hack-it-Up Handy. She felt that a new outlet directly behind the TV wouldn't cure the atrocity of the visible cords so I regretfully, LOL, let her know there wasn't much I could do and thanks for calling.

I was going off 400.8(2) or (5) that appliance cords in walls are a no no.

If the plug was behind the tv how could she see it?

mcclary's electrical

So why didn't you set her a two gand low voltage ring down on the floor close to her components, and another behind the TV,, wire 12 RCA jacks using cat 5 (through the wall),,,,,and bring them out behind the tv??? That's what a professional would do. She plugs he WII, PS2, and cable box all into those jack and input into her tv. That's what she needed. She was hoping you knew

mcclary's electrical

12 rca directly from cat 5 wiring. Is that some backwoods standard? No Baluns?

Backwoods?
It's not hard to punch down cat v to and rca adapter. There made just specifically for that purpose. Why,,,what would you punch down to it? (hint,,,each cat v gives you 4 rca jacks)what wold you use?

so who's backwoods?

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I suppose it's ok for a cheap and quick audio connection. But I think that you will run into problems using it for component video. I don't know if that is what you use them for.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Each RCA gets RG-6.

Mclary wrote:
Backwoods?
It's not hard to punch down cat v to and rca adapter. There made just specifically for that purpose. Why,,,what would you punch down to it? (hint,,,each cat v gives you 4 rca jacks)what wold you use?

I never heard of this. If this is/was possible then all the folks at Geffen/calrad/cablestogo/ and others are over charging for the Baluns! to go frm twisted pair to component-HD or HDMI with two cat 5's

Nium

Install a PVC or smurf tube sleeve, and fish it thru that.

I felt 400.8 (6) made that a violation.

If the plug was behind the tv how could she see it?

Yeah, my feelings exactly.

So why didn't you set her a two gand low voltage ring down on the floor close to her components, and another behind the TV,, wire 12 RCA jacks using cat 5 (through the wall),,,,,and bring them out behind the tv??? That's what a professional would do. She plugs he WII, PS2, and cable box all into those jack and input into her tv. That's what she needed. She was hoping you knew

I would of offered her something like that but only spoke to her on the phone never went over to look everything over because she was to "busy and just wanted a quote" so I got the sense it was one of those instances where it was going to be more trouble then it was worth. I asked her to give a convenient time to take a look at the situation to offer an estimate but she wasn't forthcoming with a time for an onsite going over and estimate. Seemed like her heart was dead set on the appliance cords in the wall, so I just let it go. Thank you for your recommendation on the RCA jacks and Cat 5.

mcclary's electrical

I suppose it's ok for a cheap and quick audio connection. But I think that you will run into problems using it for component video. I don't know if that is what you use them for.

The first 3 words of the last sentance is correct

you don't know

Check the bandwidth against rg6,,,,,or against a HDMI cable for that matter.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
So what you are saying is just attach cat 5 wire to a RCA jack and call it good because the bandwidth of cat 5 is greater.
Please tell me why they sell those cat 5 to component video Baluns. Ya know they charge over a hundred bucks for them!

Hey I'm always up for a cost savings solution.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm confused. Were you being asked to fish the component cables through the wall, or the power cords going to the components?

I would fish the A/V component cables through in a heartbeat. What's the violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.