Transformer Sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasasparky

What code section states that a transformer must be sized to our load calculation?

Remember that common sense and good engineering practice are not required by code. (That probably didn't come out right but hopefully you know what I mean...)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
All I can offer is 110.3(B). That, and you have to protect the transformer against overcurrent, per 240.4.

SEO

The code contains provisions that a considered necessary for safety however they may not be efficient. Follow 110.3B as Charlie stated and protect the transformer with overcurrent protection per Section 450.3 (240.4 is for protection of conductors)

Last edited:

bob

What code section states that a transformer must be sized to our load calculation?

Remember that common sense and good engineering practice are not required by code. (That probably didn't come out right but hopefully you know what I mean...)

It may be over sized. Your question is not clear. Do you want to install a smaller transformer KVA that the calculated load?

wasasparky

It may be over sized. Your question is not clear. Do you want to install a smaller transformer KVA that the calculated load?

The question is quite clear.

I am reacting to a statement in another forum that the transformer "must be sized per code"... when it appears the code does not address what size to use.

The utility is good at sizing their transformer well below what our load calculations indicate. It appears that we could do the same thing on our side of the fence...

I think most dry-types are well underloaded because of this, and I am as guilty as anyone...

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I think most dry-types are well underloaded because of this, and I am as guilty as anyone...
This is partly the reason the relatively recent Energy Act requires all new 'standard' transformers to be designed to be most energy efficient at 35% loading.

wasasparky

So in a nutshell, if someone says a transformer has to be sized per code, we can tell them no, the code does not dictate how to size.

Status
Not open for further replies.