TC/PLTC/ITC exit from Cable Tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdie

What is the allowable distance from the cable tray to the termination point of TC/PLTC/ITC cable? I see many references for *-ER type allowing 6ft of unsupported length, but not using this type.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Unlimited as long as it is in a raceway.

*-ER type just permits the cable to be protected by means other than a raceway.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
What is the allowable distance from the cable tray to the termination point of TC/PLTC/ITC cable? I see many references for *-ER type allowing 6ft of unsupported length, but not using this type.
There is general permission in Section 392.6(A) for 6' transitions for any conductor that is otherwise permitted in cable tray.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
There is general permission in Section 392.6(A) for 6' transitions for any conductor that is otherwise permitted in cable tray.
Yes, but not simply so. The conductors must still be protected from physical damage by guarding or location.
Where cable trays support individual conductors and
where the conductors pass from one cable tray to another,
or from a cable tray to raceway(s) or from a cable tray to
equipment where the conductors are terminated, the distance
between cable trays or between the cable tray and the
raceway(s) or the equipment shall not exceed 1.8 m (6 ft).
The conductors shall be secured to the cable tray(s) at the
transition, and they shall be protected, by guarding or by
location, from physical damage

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Yes, but not simply so. The conductors must still be protected from physical damage by guarding or location.
You're right, of course; I was simply responding to the OP question of whether there was a rule for other than Type "*-ER" cables. Protection "by location" is fairly general and I tend to use it routinely in substation vaults, or by elevation where motorized traffic is limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.