Heat Detector over Dryers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

Interesting link. The installation manual for that heat states not to put it within 10 feet of area of high humidity, including washing machines. So you cannot put one near a dryer that is adjcent or stacked on top of a washer.

See my previous post quoted here.

The area you work in has a local amendment, but it is requiring you to go against the installation instructions. I am not saying its dangerous. it is an unimformed decision on the AHJ'S part.

Last edited:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I did a quick read of this long post, so this may have already been mentioned, but dryers have high limit stats built in, just replaced a non resettable one on my sisters two year old dryer. The previous owner of the house had just run flex duct in the crawl space, and the excess was laying in a pile on the ground. (replaced it with the proper pipe) Manufactures could also install pressure differential switches to signal blocked piping and shut off heating.

shockin

Doesn't the new IBC require a sprinkler system thru-out the home? If so doesn't this solve the problem and eliminate the need for a "proposed" heat detector in the since the sprinkler head will also operate by heat?

ty

I just don't see why this needs to be added to the National Electrical Code.

If you want to submit it to the Building Code (where Smoke Detectors are), then I whole heartedly agree.

jwjrw

If you want to submit it to the Building Code (where Smoke Detectors are), then I whole heartedly agree.

Here the building dept is now making us make sure houses have smokes. If we do even a kitchen remodel the customer must have all required smokes 120v(not getting into whether 120v or just hardwired is code they want 120 here) and they have to be all tied together. If they dont have them you have to add them unless you have to damage structure to install. To bad we dont have a fire, build ,elec , cross reference quick check type guide.

nhfire77

I don't see why it needs to be added to any code, electrical or not.

love9099

Side note on Heat Detectors

Side note on Heat Detectors

Correct me if I am wrong but Heat Detectors are not life Safety devices. By the time a Heat detector is activated (When the ceiling reaches 195 or 135 degrees or whatever it is rated at) there is a very big problem and if the ceiling reaches that temp then most likely your building or home is already full of smoke and the heat detectors most of the time are used for property protection not life safety.

electricmanscott

Correct me if I am wrong but Heat Detectors are not life Safety devices. By the time a Heat detector is activated (When the ceiling reaches 195 or 135 degrees or whatever it is rated at) there is a very big problem and if the ceiling reaches that temp then most likely your building or home is already full of smoke and the heat detectors most of the time are used for property protection not life safety.

Yeah your right. Forget it. Just keep sleeping away two floors up in your bed. :roll:

Mind boggling, the foolish arguments against this. Just mind boggling.

One-eyed Jack

Sometimes personal accountability and responsibility is the only thing thats needed to remedy a problem. Just because the technology is there doesn't mean it should be mandated or implied to relieve someone of common sense.

This is by far the most sensible response I have heard. I believe most of you have heard of Education. Educate the public instead of taking them by the hand and leading them down the path YOU choose.

love9099

Heat detectors

Heat detectors

I'm not saying you can't install them or shouldn't but I would rely on a good photoelectric smoke that is tied to a fire alarm dialer to dispatch the fire department through a UL listed central station and this smoke will activate much sooner than a heat detector that has a primary purpose of protecting the property. Just an observation.

electricmanscott

This is by far the most sensible response I have heard. I believe most of you have heard of Education. Educate the public instead of taking them by the hand and leading them down the path YOU choose.

Good point. Let's do away with smoke detectors all together. We'll just tell people they shouldn't burn the house down.

You obviously have never been out in public.

nhfire77

Good point. Let's do away with smoke detectors all together. We'll just tell people they shouldn't burn the house down.

Actually his point is valid.

A rate of rise Heat detector has a response curve. This slows an alarm. In fact a slow smoldering fire will take a LOT longer to be detected with just a heat. (could minutes and that make a HUGE difference in a residential fire developing) With a fixed temp the same delay exists only the alarm point is fixed.

This is why it is not a life safety device and should not be relied upon for fire dectection alone. And again, line voltage smoke and heat manufacturers instructions (kidde, Firex) prohibit the installation of a heat or smoke near washers (Firex manual SPECIFICALLY states not within 10 feet of a washer) http://www.firexsafety.com/NR/rdonlyres/62CD89DB-EC4A-41E0-9DBE-1CD351E80F27/0/110609FEnglish5700.pdf.

In no way do I think smokes should be done away with, I doubt that guy does either, but lets not assume:

Love9099 what did you mean?

One-eyed Jack

Thats right we should tell them. The more responsiblity that people accept for themselves the better off everone will be. Yes I have been out in the public long enough to be tired of hearing people whine about how "somebody aught to pass a law" instead of being responsible for there own actions or lack of. It is time for American people to grow up,quit whining ,make decisions for themselves and be mature enough to deal with it instead of trying to pass the buck to someone else.

electricmanscott

Thats right we should tell them. The more responsiblity that people accept for themselves the better off everone will be. Yes I have been out in the public long enough to be tired of hearing people whine about how "somebody aught to pass a law" instead of being responsible for there own actions or lack of. It is time for American people to grow up,quit whining ,make decisions for themselves and be mature enough to deal with it instead of trying to pass the buck to someone else.

Great rant. What does it have to do with life safety in my home?

I guess you'd rather have your children burn to death while the sleep in their beds than be told by the man that you have to have smoke detectors in your home. Then we'll see who's whining.

Last edited:

One-eyed Jack

Great rant. What does it have to do with life safety in my home?

I guess you'd rather have your children burn to death while the sleep in their beds than be told by the man that you have to have smoke detectors in your home. Then we'll see who's whining.

Not a thing,that is your responsibility. At no point in this thread has anyone disputed the value of smoke detectors,myself included. What has been disputed is the value of others making decisions for you as opposed to you making informed decisions for yourself. If you want to sit back and let someone else make all of your decisions for you then you have no cause to complain when things don't go the way you thought they should . I choose to be aware of my environment and the associated dangers and prefer to make my own decisions regarding my welfare. If the public is educated they too can make their own decisions. If they choose wrong it was their choice,their responsibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.