Live tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_picard

Hey y'all,
What do you folks think about those connectors that pierce the insulation on the conductors to be tapped? Are these intended to be used on live conductors?
I know I've seen a thread on this before, I just could'nt figure out which key words to use in a search.

Thanks

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What do you folks think about those connectors that pierce the insulation on the conductors to be tapped? Are these intended to be used on live conductors?
I have used them, and they may be installed onto hot conductors as long as there is no load on the tap conductors. Love 'em.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Work good used them in a gutter in the rain with a guy holding cardboard over my head, hot.I wasn't too happy, but the office building wouldn't let us shut them off.

kwired

Electron manager
Work good used them in a gutter in the rain with a guy holding cardboard over my head, hot.I wasn't too happy, but the office building wouldn't let us shut them off.

Be ready for a shower of posts of why you should or shouldn't do this hot. I'm not going to say if you were right or wrong just if you are going to say such a comment be ready, and rightfully so.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I know; then the time I crawled onto hot 480v buss all 3ph. in a chem. plant box car to determ and reterm 500mcm prob. wont go over big too. I did have lots of rubber and ppe not that it would have helped if I F'ed up.
Ahhh to be young dumb and full of ! again.

Status
Not open for further replies.