Opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luketrician

Hello All,

Long time lurker here, and enjoy reading through posts and keeping current with my trade, (this nuclear plant is stuck in time :grin:) but I digress.

I was wanting too see what kind of boots people prefer to wear on the job. I am on concrete 90% of the time in the plant and we are adopting a new safety policy which will prohibit us wearing anything resembling a hiker/tennis shoe.

I have been wearing an all leather New Balance shoe, but I am not sure if there is a boot out there that I can wear that will be comfortable to walk around in all day.

I used to have a pair of Wolverine boots that were really lite and comfortable to walk around in...but I can't seem to find them anymore.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.:)

TxEngr

Red Wings all the way. And add the gel inserts they offer at the store. They're pricey, but worth it. I can wear mine for 10-12 hours a day and be comfortable.

I also wear all leather above the ankle shoes for full protection. And don't forget to get E-Rated shoes.

John120/240

boots

boots

FootRests by HyTest Safety Footwear, part of Wolverine Co.
If you get ones with a green stripe around the sole, the soles are near
indestructible and comfortable too.

charlietuna

Here a long time "RED WING" wearer -- but had some problems with them about ten years ago. I switched to leather type, made by "CLARKS" which to me, were light weight while providing excellent arch support. I had never found such a comfort in shoes and started wearing other models of "CLARKS" for around the house. Thats all i wear now ! They aren't cheap, but you can't wear them out !

c2500

I was a Red Wing guy, since they could be re-soled. So I had $230 and 1 1/2 years or so to the pair before the toe was shot (I only wear steel toes). The problem was the non marring urethane sole kept marring up any hardwoods I walked on...fortunately though, it rubbed right off. This is a hassel as I work in alot of homes that have hardwoods...not to mention my own. Any way I swiched to Timberland Pro's and have been very pleased. I am getting 2-3 years per pair, (I have several pair) and they are EH rated to 600 volts.

WARNING: If you do go this route, do not buy the "Pitboss" They are the only type I bought that I have been displeased with. They are impossible to break in.

c2500

Luketrician

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like the red wings are the way to go. If I can run across those wolverines and/or clarks ill try them to. I learned years ago that you have to spend the money when it comes to footwear. ( bought a pair of carolina brand work boots..they were only 30 bucks...worst pair of boots I have ever had the displeasure of wearing)

Ill post up when I find some good-uns :)

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Brother, do like me and get them crappy and let the plant pay. I'm wearing the green strips right now.

Luketrician

Those look really good. If they were not a steel toe I would give them a try. The possible risk of medical complications if you were to have a foot accident, the steel toe could act as a shear, (severing off digits) or a clamp, which would hinder in the removal of the shoe. (In theory)

I think our saftey manual actually prohibits the use of steel-toe boots.

Sameguy, I think you are right on. The plant will probably have to buy us, or give us an allowance if they are going to enforce this new policy. I have heard good things about the green stripes though, that's a redwing brand right?

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I think so, made in china. they wear good over 1-1/2 year on the pair I'm wearing, inner liner is replaceable;I need to replace liner. They have a boot truck come on site monthly, also get free pair of socks with new shoes.
I had Redwings,Herman,Wolverine and the strips sole seam to last longer(High tech) is the name I believe.

Have shut down yet? I'm 1/2 tramp; staying in my area now. Hooked up with a friend who started a contracting biz hope to stay in the office more and more. Getting old and finding climbing to sit under the silver dollars not what it used to be; will prob. miss this years.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
The possible risk of medical complications if you were to have a foot accident, the steel toe could act as a shear, (severing off digits) or a clamp, which would hinder in the removal of the shoe. (In theory)
Mythbusters looked into that a while back. They decided your foot would be better off with the steel toe. I wear composites, myself, better on cold days. I like my Worx Redwings.

tkb

I also vote for the Red Wings.
I have been wearing them for many years.
The only boot I buy.

Get two pairs if you can and alternate days with them.
Gives them time to dry out and the boots will last longer.
Get the inserts.

Status
Not open for further replies.