TV cord fished through wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

So what about bandwith on a paticular cable. I don't see much offerings if any for a RCA / 110 punchdown insert. Is there one?
Second I don't see any spec's out there to do so. Is there?
I know that Leviton sells a S-video 110 insert and they say limit to 75'.
I know you can get lots of stuff to work and rig almost anything.
If you would please elaborate on how you use cat-5 to RCA for a Component HD signal.
Thanks
Sparky

That's exactly what I use, a keystone rca to 110 punchdown. I'm confused,,,,What other cable would you punch to it? It's manifactured for long runs up to 100 meters. Ever see wall to wall bigscreens in a bar when the equipment room is 250 feet away???That ain't no HDMI cable that long,,,,you can bet that(they do make mini rgb's that have 4 rg6 built into the size of a normal rg6,,,,but the connectors are expensive.This way is most economical

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMO, there is no safety hazard associated with fishing the cords/cables through the wall especially if you use smurf tubing.

Is it code? For the low voltage stuff it probably is.

For the power cords, probably not.

Having said that this has to be one of the dumbest rules for short cords.

There are some products on the market that basically remove part of the wall in a stud bay and create a chase of sorts that would appear to meet code. Off hand I cannot think of the name of one of them. It would not be all that difficult to fabricate something.

Last edited:

administr8tor

That's exactly what I use, a keystone rca to 110 punchdown. I'm confused,,,,What other cable would you punch to it? It's manifactured for long runs up to 100 meters. Ever see wall to wall bigscreens in a bar when the equipment room is 250 feet away???That ain't no HDMI cable that long,,,,you can bet that(they do make mini rgb's that have 4 rg6 built into the size of a normal rg6,,,,but the connectors are expensive.This way is most economical

RGB is 5 mini 59 cables not rg6, yes the connectors are almost $5 each and the cable about $4 a foot, but i'll still use it up to 175' then switch to cat 5 with baluns after that.

My sports bar customers wouldn't be too happy with noise bars and audio hum, :D

There's some things that should stay in residential use :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.