max current for 125A panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lat1

today i was working in a print shop adding a couple of circuits for them. while looking around to find the best place to pull power from i found a 125A MDP 120/208 panel (fed from a meter) that seemed odd to me. the accumulated loads, (100A heat press, 40A flash table, and 2- 30A compressors) sometime run simultaneously. i didn't look at the name plates on the various machines, but even if all the breakers were loaded at 70% there would be a 140A load on a 125A panel. the main has never tripped in 18 months. is this installation ok? i wouldn't be as concerned if the loads were not sometime continous?

Buck Parrish

Well obviously every place is different. Esspecially with the 100 amp press. Perhaps the name plate was considering the most it would pull. But...
I wired a dentist office on a 100 amp 3 phase panel.
3 phase has a better load capacity then single phase.
125 is even better as 100 amp 3 phase seems to be common in small retail stores.

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
today i was working in a print shop adding a couple of circuits for them. while looking around to find the best place to pull power from i found a 125A MDP 120/208 panel (fed from a meter) that seemed odd to me. the accumulated loads, (100A heat press, 40A flash table, and 2- 30A compressors) sometime run simultaneously. i didn't look at the name plates on the various machines, but even if all the breakers were loaded at 70% there would be a 140A load on a 125A panel. the main has never tripped in 18 months. is this installation ok? i wouldn't be as concerned if the loads were not sometime continous?

You must look at the loads themselves, not the breakers feeding them.
Until that is done you have no hope of determing if the installation is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.